scrubs

Minnow Chaser

I've done this to a couple of lures. They are easy to make and you can add them to a lot of different baits. One issue I have had is they tail floating too much because of the extra weight at the front. As long as it keeps moving it swims really nice with a good tail wag. I've used both spinner blades as well as props. The props work well on smaller baits for summer bass.

I tried another variation of this where, instead of an attachable wire, beads and spinner, I used an extended long tow point with the beads and spinner permanently attached. By having a rigid connection it really increased the vibration of the lure on retrieve.

I'd post a picture but it is in a tree at the lake.

gallery_31741_8_29068.jpg

Hello all. Long time TU lurker here reporting for the first time.

I have made this lure (several of them.) They work very well for spybaiting. Mine are ballasted to sink slowly; count down and retrieve with a slow cadence. 

I made this lure one night when I was tying a bunch of walleye crawler harnesses and looking for something to do with the extra blades, clevis', etc. that I had laying around. Ended up making a bunch of these, but this is the only one I could find today. 

-Andrew

Looks really nice Andrew. If you don't mind a dumb question what is spybaiting?

bill

Thanks Bill.

It's a finesse bass fishing technique that was pioneered in Japan, although the technique has been around for a long while in various forms. There are similar presentations for lake trout, etc. that came before spybaiting. Usually one would use a sinking prop bait on very light line (2-6lb.) and target suspended fish in clear-ish water. The lure must sink evenly and flutter on the fall (not nose down) and you just count it down to the desired depth. Retrieve the lure at a snails pace. There are a lot of videos online that demonstrate the technique. It is deadly in certain situations (it is known as a good presentation in highly pressured waters, but mileage may vary.) 

The minnow chaser works well for spybaiting. The lure has a nice wobble to it if you follow the recipe in the book.

Edited by WakeBait

RSCN6711

RSCN6835

RSCN6715

Hey scrubs, I also have that book and I have made quite a few of the minnow chasers. I changed them a little bit and put very basic paint jobs on them. I carved them and installed a 6 gram belly weight with a hook hanger on some. The ones here just have a basic hook hanger on the belly. Then I took the treble hook off of an inexpensive spinner and put that on the screw eye at the front. I have caught some nice Bass and trout on them. I use a fast then slow retrieve so the bait goes up and down looking like the minnow is chasing a smaller fish. You should make some. You will be glad you did!  Here are some of the ones I have made.

Edited by J. Griffing Lures

Hey scrubs, I also have that book and I have made quite a few of the minnow chasers. I changed them a little bit and put very basic paint jobs on them.

Thanks for posting those, they're really nice. I think both you and Andrew put my painting to shame. I've got a full sized one and a 1/2 size I'm working on now. I've got some 1/10oz painted lead spinner bodies I may use on the shaft. If not those then solid and hollow beads depending on the sink rate.

bill

I have made a few of those and have had some success for Largemouth on blue and Baby bass color. I have noticed that putting beads between the nose and blade have helped with rotation. The blade seems to turn better if it is about a full length from the nose. I've also done a few thru wire models with better blade success. Properly keel weighted, IMO it's a great idea and lure.