TwoBits

Excellent shakyhead design

Its a fairly novel and unique way of doing it but not as effective as a screw lock. These strike me as the most effective and efficient way so far. Pity they are rather expensive or time consumptive in making them is my only reservation so far. Anyone come up with some cheap ones they are happy with or a cheap source for them?

Its a fairly novel and unique way of doing it but not as effective as a screw lock. These strike me as the most effective and efficient way so far.

David, I'm guessing you haven't used these Hookerheads ? Because if you have, you will find they are better than a screw lock. The small hook acts against the big hook to lock the bait in place. Until you have one in your hand and work with it, that may not be evident.

I've been making my own screw lock shakyheads for the past year. My draw partner in a recent BFL showed me these Hookerheads and gave me a couple to try out. I didn't think much about it till I put a finesse worm on the head and saw how it locked the worm in place. The hook also doesn't tear up the end of the worm as badly as a screw lock, once the worm has been torn off a screw lock, the end has to be bitten off. Not so with the Hookerhead.

I'm working at modifying a mold to make the Hookerhead. You are correct in the screw lock being cheaper to purchase and/or make. But if I can convert, I will.

TwoBits, Thanks maybe I am being unfair as I havnt seen or tried these Hookerheads but I am pretty impressed with the Screwlocks which I hadnt seen until recently. Someone sent me some samples down the other day and I am pretty impressed with them as a result.

Here is what I said in an email to a friend: "which arrived last night but boy am I impressed. They are the best system I have seen so far and leave conventional SP rigging for dead. Screwed the 2 into a couple of plastic baits linked them together and then tried to pull them apart holding on to their tails (rear 1/3). Can see the baits will rip apart first and only secondly will they pull the nose apart. Pulled it to the point where one of the baits I have is a laminated one and it was just starting to give and come apart on the laminated line.

I have already lost SPs being pulled off the hooks by snapper while drift fishing up off Wendereholm out to sea in the Surf in the Kayaks off the mouth of the Puhoi River and have been looking for an answer to that. $5 worth of Nuke Chickens to give Tangaroa and to subsidise Berkley and these other burglars and bludgers on top of all the other costs each time is too much to ask."

From what I can see the Screwlocks are the answer but not having seen one of the Hookerheads I dont know. You may be right. I didnt put hooks into the SPs just screwlocks. When you put the hooks in as well you may just open the plastic up a lot and weaken the holding power dramatically.

With a bit of thought it is probably fairly easy to modify and adapt a mold. I am pretty good at doing things like that and have quite a bit of engineering experience over a long period of years. Do you have some pictures (like closeup) and some drawings. Will PM you and maybe you can send me some info pics and drawings. I am more than prepared to look at it and see what I can come up with. I see you are shown as Oklahoma City so I imagine most of your fishing is lake fishing for bass. Most of mine is for saltwater fish such as snapper (pagrus auratus or pagrus chrysophus). What size SPs are you using?

David