AustinConn

Will this work

Ok these are some "will this work" questions.

1) Can you Lead impregnate lures, like put lead shavings in the head of the bait as soon as your pour it?

2) Do you need to use plastic hardener along with your liquid plastic?

3) Im currently using a camp stove with a gas burner. Will this work for melting and pouring plastics. So far it has worked fairly well.

Untill later guys,

Austin Conn

Ok these are some "will this work" questions.

1) Can you Lead impregnate lures, like put lead shavings in the head of the bait as soon as your pour it?

2) Do you need to use plastic hardener along with your liquid plastic?

3) Im currently using a camp stove with a gas burner. Will this work for melting and pouring plastics. So far it has worked fairly well.

Untill later guys,

Austin Conn

1) you could but with the hot plastic and the lead being heavier it might sink to the bottom and show through the top of your worm unless you were to make it micro size which would probably be hard to do. OR if you pour all dark colors then try it out.:twocents:

Let us know how it turns out.

2) No! unless you want a harder bait.

3) Yes it will work but it probably will get expensive to keep buying gas. You can get an electric stove burner at wally world for cheap, just make sure it has an adjustable heat control.

Good luck.

the lead would be sanded down bullet weight shavings.

It could work but like MONKEYqpHUNTER said it cheaper to buy salt or sand.

Also you might have to coat the lead with something, if lead is touching a plastic worm it turns it whitish color after awhile. Dont know if thats happened to others but its happened quit a few times to me.

Be careful if you are sanding, shaving or working with lead. In powder form it is easly injested and absorbed through your skin and lead is poisonous. If you are going to work with lead wear gloves and a resperator. Don't smoke unless you wash your hands thouroughly, proably shouldn't smoke at all. Don't eat or drink unless you wash your hands. And use in a well ventelated area. So basicly use the salt.

I personally don't like salt. I believe is absorbs the oil in the plastic and therefore hardens the bait. If you wish to use lead or perhaps sand then I would pour the bait in two pieces. Just before the bottom section hardens too much simply drop the lead/sand so it adheres to the soft plastic but yet doesn't sink all the way to the bottom. Then pour the upper half and it should work fine.

As the others said a microwave is a much better way to heat than using a propane or electric burner. If your worried about the plastic cooling off too much between pours then buy a pancake griddle and set your cup on it between pours.

Nova is right i tried putting lead wire in my swimbaits straight after pouring and for the first 2/3 days they looked fine then they started turning the plastic around in to a funky opaque white colour and after a few weeks the baits kind of warped. I suppose as someone else said in this post if you pour only solid dark colours it might work. I would stick to drop shot, weighted hooks, fire balls or jig heads, keep it simple! Just my 2cents.. Cheers, Simon

Austin,

PoP is Plaster of Paris!

You can use alot of products with varying durability to seal PoP molds, Devencon 2 ton(SP?) a type of epoxy resin seems to be the most popular and long lasting product used to coat POP molds with.

For several years I have succesfully used a 2-3 coats of a type of industrial wood floor varnish, which specifically says it is heat resistant, for my POP molds.

Try a search in the forum with sealing POP molds and I am sure you will find a better answer than mine!

Edited by Green_Fingers