carolinamike

Phthalates

Did anyone else see 60 Minutes last night? Just by coincidence I have already been looking into this subject, and it turns out to be real interesting. First off, let me say that the FDA says that there are no adverse side effects from phthalates. Almost all of this I'm quoting off of 60 Minutes from the show last night. I was told a few days ago by another person that it causes cancer in rats, but not in people, I thought he was pulling my leg. But the doctor on 60 Minutes last night said that when tested on rats and mice it caused cancer, however when tested on monkeys, there were no adverse effects at all. There was a lady on there that was against phthalates, a politician type, who said that phthalates were causing men to be more feminine and not as manly. Apparently they say it slows testosterone growth in male fetuses. Now I think about it this way I can't ever remember seeing a prissy fisherman and one of the first things they said on the program that contained phthalates were IV bottles and the vinyl tubing for IV bottles. With that being said, almost every hospital that I've been to there's always this one male nurse that's not quite as manly as what he ought to be.:rolleyes: No to be serious though, I was surprised at the list of items that contained phthalates. Here are some of the items: any soft flexible plastic squeeze bottle, all the vinyl in your car, vinyl raincoats, and a whole list of items used in the medical industry and the food industry. Also there's a lot of make-ups, hand lotions, and lipsticks that contain phthalates. But pretty much the final conclusion was that no one knows what adverse effects if any, phthalates pose. Politicians and doctors both agree that there is no proof that they will harm you and there is no proof that they won't. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the doctors and politicians.

Did anyone else see 60 Minutes last night? Just by coincidence I have already been looking into this subject, and it turns out to be real interesting. First off, let me say that the FDA says that there are no adverse side effects from phthalates. Almost all of this I'm quoting off of 60 Minutes from the show last night. I was told a few days ago by another person that it causes cancer in rats, but not in people, I thought he was pulling my leg. But the doctor on 60 Minutes last night said that when tested on rats and mice it caused cancer, however when tested on monkeys, there were no adverse effects at all. There was a lady on there that was against phthalates, a politician type, who said that phthalates were causing men to be more feminine and not as manly. Apparently they say it slows testosterone growth in male fetuses. Now I think about it this way I can't ever remember seeing a prissy fisherman and one of the first things they said on the program that contained phthalates were IV bottles and the vinyl tubing for IV bottles. With that being said, almost every hospital that I've been to there's always this one male nurse that's not quite as manly as what he ought to be.:rolleyes: No to be serious though, I was surprised at the list of items that contained phthalates. Here are some of the items: any soft flexible plastic squeeze bottle, all the vinyl in your car, vinyl raincoats, and a whole list of items used in the medical industry and the food industry. Also there's a lot of make-ups, hand lotions, and lipsticks that contain phthalates. But pretty much the final conclusion was that no one knows what adverse effects if any, phthalates pose. Politicians and doctors both agree that there is no proof that they will harm you and there is no proof that they won't. Sorry, I can't remember the names of the doctors and politicians.

Just to be safe I only use the "Green" plastic form LC. There seems to be info pointing to problems from it.

They were focused on end consumers and cured products. So are the links below.

Do you think working with the raw product is safer?

If a company is going to use phthalates they should disclose which ones they are using as some are more dangerous than others - hence the bans in the US and EMEA.

Watch the videos / read the articles. Judge for yourself.

60 Minutes / CBS

FDA

Web MD

Science and Health

Consumer Product Safety Comission

Proctor and Gamble

SC Johnson (Johnson and Johnson)

Edited by caneycreekmolds

I've been dealing with this in my screenprinting business. Thankfully so far I do not have to do 3rd party testing for lead and phthalates.....yet. The CPSIA will give a ruling next Feb. as to rather small businesses will be expempt.

As for the dangers.....well I kinda doubt there are any other than a tremendous amount of waste that will never go away.

It is my understanding the phthalates are what makes plastic bond...or in other words makes plastic plastic. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Remember when plastic's first got popular? Plastic bags were introduced to save the rain forest and not cut down trees....a renewable resource. Soda bottles were replaced with plastic because they said bottle couldn't be sanitized and made clean.....now they say plastic bottles cause cancer. The list goes on and on.

Why was plastic introduced???? Follow the money trail and it is pretty apparent why.

Why is plastic and phthalates used to bond it being touted as bad for us? Again, follow the money trail.

If we are going to be serious about saving the planet, going green, staying healty, etc. we need to go back to doing things the way the old timers done them. They were much more enivironmentally friendly to the land as the land was how they made a living. They recycled everything out of necessity.

Back then when the industrial revolution was at it's hayday you could still drink out of most streams in the US. Now since the EPA and all the environmentalists have taken over and require water in treatment plants to be treated and drinking water bleached you don't dare drink out of any stream or you will get sick....or so they say.

I believe a lot of this stuff is just hype being played off of the environment scare we have here in America. Most of the problems have actually been created by those who are supposed to be looking out for the environment and our people.

Why is this happening......again follow the money trail.

Am I worried about the phtalates in the plastic I cook......not really as long as I follow all the safety issues, i.e ventilation, proper personal protective equipment when pouring, etc. What little product goes into the streams and lakes from fishing is very minute compared to what is going into landfills all across this nation in the premise that we are saving the environment by bagging everything in plastic so as not to cut down a tree.

Plastic products were invented and promoted to make people filthy rich. And everyone is contributing to the problem in some fashion no matter who you are. Just the way of life here in the USofA.

Thanks Jason for posting those links. It made for interesting reading, but it seems like the main topics for the problem with phthalates are more related with the food and cosmetic industry. It's funny though when you think about it if you receive blood at the hospital it's stored in a flexible plastic bag that contains phthalates. But I think the scariest thing is that no one knows for sure either way.

A couple of years back the larger plastic manufacturers were warned not to sell or distribute any baits to children. I was going to donate some seconds and in between shots to an inner city school but I was told by my supplier that that was a big no no. Reason being, any plastic bait or product using plasticizer must have third party testing and be certified to be sold on the market as a child safe product. From what I understand, if it does not have this certification, from an industry point of view it is the same as any product on the market. This is the information that the large producers were given, if I can get this attachment to work. This is one of the reasons that Berkley, Strike King and the other big boys don't list their products as child safe and never target children as a market. This the reason if you donate baits or sell baits, only do so to adults.

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

New_PZ_Law.pdf

Thanks Jason for posting those links. It made for interesting reading, but it seems like the main topics for the problem with phthalates are more related with the food and cosmetic industry. It's funny though when you think about it if you receive blood at the hospital it's stored in a flexible plastic bag that contains phthalates. But I think the scariest thing is that no one knows for sure either way.

A couple of years back the larger plastic manufacturers were warned not to sell or distribute any baits to children. I was going to donate some seconds and in between shots to an inner city school but I was told by my supplier that that was a big no no. Reason being, any plastic bait or product using plasticizer must have third party testing and be certified to be sold on the market as a child safe product. From what I understand, if it does not have this certification, from an industry point of view it is the same as any product on the market. This is the information that the large producers were given, if I can get this attachment to work. This is one of the reasons that Berkley, Strike King and the other big boys don't list their products as child safe and never target children as a market. This the reason if you donate baits or sell baits, only do so to adults.

Totally true. Just put a disclaimer on your worm bags not for use by children under 12 years of age and you will be fine. It's only for kids under 12 that these apply too right now.......