sjksjksjk

So I Have Made A Mistake

I want to create soft plastics with super sculpy, cast them in poly resin, and then pour plastic into the poly resin mold.

Should I bake the sculpy before pouring resin over them? I ask because I just ruined 4 lures as they are trapped in the resin and chipping them out with a fork is a pain in the a$%.

My question is how do I start with sculpy and end up with a pourable mold? Am I wrong using resin?

Wanted to thank you guys again for the responses. I took some time and searched around these forums and I don't know of a better resource on the entire Internet for making your own tackle.

Unfortunately you guys will be hearing more dumb questions from me cause I'm gonna be hear awhile. LOL

Heres my method on clay and hard mold making. I use a natural clay, it air dries in about 2 hours. I have a full detailed sketch of my idea on my bench, then I make the clay master of it. Since I have 2 hours until dry, I perfect the master, shape it, smooth it, and glue it down to my mold pan in about 1 hour usually. Mix my POP, Coat the master in vegatable oil, then pour my POP into the mold. Let it cure for however long it needs to, then demold from the pan. Since there is no air in the mold when it is curing, the clay stops the drying process, and it comes out soft and easy to pull out because of the oil coating. I have made around 30 12" X 6" molds this way, never had a problem at all. Timing is the key though. Justs my thoughts and process. Hope it helps.

This is the first question I planned on asking after joining just now. Good to know that resin won't work with a hard master. Ill have to read up on making a silicone mold now.

One question I still have, is should I still seal my clay master? I read a couple articles about using Mod Podge to seal my master after it has hardened. Is this still necessary?

Rebel, I've had luck NOT baking my sculpy and using a method by a guy named Husky. If you use the search function and type in 'caulk molds' it will bring up a few threads. In one of those there is a link to the thread by Husky.

It is a long read but worth it. You are shown how to make molds using common household silicone caulk.

I got two good molds with this method yesterday. (But three that were a mess.lol) and you can re -use the sculpey!!!