WallsOut

Melting Lead on Barbecue Pit

Is it possible to melt lead in a pot over a propane barbecue? Is the flame hot enough?? A friend just gave me a bucket of tire weights and I wanted to melt them down and make ignots. I don't want to do it 4 lbs at a time in my pot due to extended exposure to the fumes of the dirty lead.

Thanks

Eric

Use a cast iron pot.

I do mine on a turkey fryer base, with a 20 cast iron kettle/pot.

Great to get the fumes and slag out, out side.

Try not to cook any tire stems.

I get 5 gal. buckets of the wheel weights and get them in there also.

Burning tire stink.

Be very care ful, for some reason those suckers are always a little touchy.

Some sizzle, and the mean ones pop.

Get a big coffe can or some metal pan to catch the slag and clipps, there will be lots of it.

Some times more clipps than lead.

I use a soup can take the label off. I use led shot form a reloading supply store. Bend a pore lip hook a pair of vice grips on the top for a handle. Fill it ? up or more and I use a propane torch. Out side of course!! Works nice I think!! One thing I will add, if you try to heat the led fast that is when you are going to put off more of your hazardous fumes!!!! Heat it slow that is why I like the can I will shake it and move the torch all over the surface of the can. Also I have found that led shot don?t put off as much fumes as compared to the free tire weights. I think it is cleaner and more pure it also comes with a price. Just my $.02 we all know that there is no way you can stop all the hazardous fumes. So use commonsense and all safe and precautious steps working with led yes, ?work at your risk!!!!!?