Jim_S

Split rings on in-line spinners?

I'm thinking of using split rings to attach treble hooks w/bucktails to my spinners. (I use bucktails and/or hackle and/or marabou on every spinner I make.) Split rings look like a good way to rehook the lure, without taking everything apart, when the bucktail gets wasted.

I looked at some store spinners (Meeps & others) and they don't use split rings on most of their spinners. Is there a reason they don't ... i.e cost ? Or am I better off not using split rings for some reason I'm not aware of?

If it matters, most of my in-line spinners are 1/4 oz (#10 treble) , 1/2 oz (#8 treble) and 3/4 oz (# 6 & 4 treble).

Jim,

The reason is -- they want you to come back and buy another when the hook is wasted.

Use a good quality, size 7, heavy duty, zinc coated s/r and you will be fne. You can get 1000 at Worth for about 45 bucks.

http://www.worthco.com/fish/

If you are making really big baits, you can use the Wolverines -- but they are thick and for big baits only.

Hope that helps.

This guy get's them from Worth, but only charged me $26 for 1000 size 7. He buys in bulk & then splits up the order and re-ships. Last time he only had size 7 and would only sell 1000 in a pack, but it looks like he will get #5 and make smaller packs. They are the same heavy duty split ring that is also know a Bucher rings. http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21925&posts=2