Gloomisman

need help Plumbing/foundation leak

Howdy guys, I need some help.

Where my copper water pipe comes into my house in the basement is leaking around the pipe. The filler the used years ago has rotted away or non existant. I am going to dig out around the pipe and seal it. My question is what would be the best material to seal it with?

Also do you guys think it would be a good idea to dig below the pipe a foot or so and fill it in with a bunch of gravel to keep the water off the pipe after fixing it?

Also you may want to consider how much water you've lost. I had a similar situation here in Florida, and with our water restrictions you avoid getting charged if you have a liscenced plumber do the work. Given our water overusage penalties I saved hundreds of dollars by NOT doing it myself.

Clemmy

Gloomis, you mentioned the problem is when it rains really hard. To me that means that it is rain water coming in, just choosing the path of least resistance along the trench of the pipe and eventually forced it's way through the original filler.

Your post title mentioned plumbing problem, but I'm not sure the problem is in the plumbing.

Look at your downspout (gutter) situation, plus I think you need to do what Nova suggested. Trenches or other water diversions might help. Good luck.