Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scoop10

wire questions

6 posts in this topic

Bought some .051 wire from Janns. Stuff seems too big for making hook hangers and lips.

Looking for suggestions on what size wire to use for these jobs and where to find it.

You need .032 to .040. This is a good size wire. You can get some 18 guage copper wire at Wal Mart. I found it on a small roll in the hardware section. This would be good to use.

Skeeter

What Skeeter said. You can also find 19 gauge stainless wire at Ace Hardware and sometimes Lowes that is not tempered like the usual bladebait wire, making it much easier to work with--ideal for crankbaits. I use it along with the 18 gauge copper.

Dean

If you don't like those options try McMaster Carr...lots of wire, lots of diameters, good $ and S&H. I buy brass wire from them, about the same diameters as Skeeter suggested.

Also check your local welding supply place. They'll often have stainless wire in a variety of diameters. The 308L stuff works well for plugs. I use that in 1/16 inch diameter for striper plugs.

Andrew

also check out welding shops they throw out end of spool's with usually ten to fifteen feet of wire on them ,just ask if you can take it. I'm sure they will let you have it!

Robby.