GCD

Removing Baked On Powder Paint

I had seen this question asked in other threads here and had wondered about it myself. I'd tried a few other methods (burning, sanding...) with little success. Then I spied an old bottle of this stripping gel in the garage the other day and thought I'd give it a try.

DSC01630.jpg

It's non flammable and has no noxious fumes (smells like oranges!), so it's safe for indoor use.

I poured the gel in an old bowl I now use as an ashtray and put some jigs with a less than desireable paint job in.

DSC01631.jpg

I tried removing the paint after letting them soak for an hour... no go. Tried after 2 hours... still no go. Decided to let them soak for 24 hrs.

Success!

DSC01636.jpg

The stripper turned the PP into a latex like consistancy with goo underneath.

DSC01637.jpg

A couple swipes with a little stripping brush and a sharp streamed blast from the garden hose, and they came out pretty clean!!!

DSC01638.jpg

A couple had some small stubborn spots so they went back in to the stripper.

Some rubbery like paint remained on the hook eye and shank and was cleaned off with an old toothbrush and utility knife.

The stripper is in the paint section of Wal-Mart.

Wouldnt it have been easier to melt them all down,skim the PP off the top and re-pour.

I tried the paint stripper thing too.

You will probably have to wash them to get any residue off.

It might have been easier to melt them again, but I really do hate to waste anything... the hooks and the time it took to pour them. I'm not really crazy about polluting my melting either.

It was more or less just an experiment... that actually worked!!!8O