WART_HAWG

Removing Paint From Plastic Crankbaits

I bought a blasting kit like the one from eastwood shown on here from harbor freight.  I could buy parts to convert it to soda blaster and it was cheaper than the one from eastwood. It is not a top of the line blaster but it works.

What abrasive media are you using for plastic lure bodies?  There are several types: maintenance, rust removal, etc.  I'm thinking 150 micron maintenance media would be best.....hope its not too aggressive for plastic lures. :? Any info on this would help.

What abrasive media are you using for plastic lure bodies?  There are several types: maintenance, rust removal, etc.  I'm thinking 150 micron maintenance media would be best.....hope its not too aggressive for plastic lures. :? Any info on this would help.

I bought the blaster for another project but have not bought the conversion for soda blasting yet. Sorry didn't mean to mislead. I'm not sure what media to use for the baits. Sorry for the confusion.

I use the AEX 5 compound from paasche- or baking soda when I'm out. Either one works well. Just have to play with air pressure.

Thanks for this information.  It looks like 70 micron 220 grit composite media is about the equivalent that is used in a small blast cabinet.  Always good info on this site. :wink:

I got 20lbs. of 20% bicarbonate of soda for my blast cabinet and used it on a couple of baits that were painted but not sealed.  Took about 2-3 minutes to clean them back to the plastic.  The angle of the blast nozzle to the lure is important...right angle cleans quick :D ... wrong angle  :nono:  not so much.  A quick dip in acetone after the lure was cleaned had them looking brand new.  No pitts or distortion of any type.  Factory clearcoated lures took about 3-4 times as long to clean.  Gotta get some smaller tips....I think the smaller tips will work better on the clearcoated lures :? .

Edited by boisarc