RPM

Lure balancing shorthand

Just a short version of a lesson learned several years ago. I cannot convey or express in detail but I'm fairly sure the archives here at TU, can, so with the Holidays approaching I would suggest revisiting  some of the old conversations about weighting and blanace of crankbiats, it's really facinating and will help anyone who seeks plug building knowledge. 

It took me quite a while but in short what I found was old timers talked about a balanced plug performing best, so when considering a medium diving crankbait there are many factor that play into this therory. It should be weighted properly, it should still rise or float, it should also dive and have the action your are seeking. So I set out on my journey, found a design / shape I like and started experimenting with balance. This is where it gets interesting! I built at least 50 plugs same shape, size, lip, only change was weight ( ballast ) how much and were I put it, I cannot convey everything it took me, well over a year and half but I was able to learn what it took for my lure to have the desired action I was looking for and it was an eye opening experience. I've since moved on to deeper diving lures, still experimenting and have learned the deeper the lure dives the more critical everything becomes, ballast, placement, action bill shape size, etc.

Recently woking on a deep diver 12+ ft for a friend who wants a super slow riser that performs like an old lure no longer in productioon? let me tell you was I in for a challenge! WOW. but another member here once said to him, one of the most important features a crankbait can have is it must float. I've rememberd that and experienced why many times during my lure building journney.

Best of luck, lure builders, and Merry Christmas, and happy new year. 

Rich   

Edited by RPM
spelling corerction
  • Like 2

Update! Just started a new lure design / build, and wanted to let everyone in on whats involved in a shorthand version. I've been working on this lure / design for at least 8 mos. Gathering info, and information for my expectations. The insperation is from a friend, member here who has built thousands of lures and worked for a reputable lure company for many years. I have decided to add my own twist ( which is my forte ) LOL. I have a pattern / design and put it to lumber today, So heres where the rubber meets the road. I cut out 16 bodies, decided where I'll put the ballast and after tank testing and much studies on how much weight the lure will handle, figure out all the placement of the ballast, install and build each lure taking very good notes and pictures. Document everything along with thoughts / adjustments, build and seal each lure to prepare for testing. First is the tank test, then off to the pond for physical test, more notes, then attack the lure with my opinion, then after all results are gathered I will make subtle adjustments until the lure satisfies us. Sounds simple enough? this is not my first rodeo and I've gone through this process many times, but to come up with a working lure that is acceptable and will work in North Carolina and Southern Indiana or elsewhere, there is really no other choice. I have an idea of how this lure should perform and will not accept anything else.

Guys that are thinking about building crankbaits should understand the reasoning behind all of this nonsense. I was actually going to wait till after Christmas to start this new project but with all the recent activity here it got me thinking there is no better time than the present, My neighbor 80+ years old and old tournament angler said today how many hours are you going to have in all of those? and why not just buy a proven lure? Good questions and my only response is I just love to tinker and buiild plugs, so yes it is a labor of love and certainly not for everyone but I guess I'm not preaching to the choir. This lure comes from an idea my buddy had almost 40 years ago, and after fishing with several legends in the Bass Fishing world he told me one of his regrets was not building a plug like this, so here goes. Wish me well. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Rich

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

You definitely have the right mindset to achieve your project goals, you have knowledge and experience on your side.

I quickly discovered in my early days of lure building that I was taking what I could get from results, I was NOT in control of the results. This obviously came from a lack of experience of the control factors and their effects. 14 years on and there are things that I am still trying to figure out.

All those years ago, I got lucky and built a lure with the action I was looking for, really wild hunting, so severe that it looked like a predator might not be able to catch it. In 14 years I have never managed to reproduce that action.

Rather than trial and error, I am searching for the answer through knowledge, experience, engineering and theory. I will get there in the end, but such a unique action is a big ask.

I wish you luck with your lure.

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave, I appreciate it, as well as your help in the past / present / future. This particular lure is another Medium Diver, that should have a tight action, meduim rise that can be burned or slow rolled down to around 8-12' This lure is semi unique as it sits level in water and swims at a pretty flat parallel  angle, I swam tested the first 4 today and got some really good results, next step is other gear ratio reels to find its max speed, but so far pretty impressed and reached bottom of test pond fairly easy and no way to reel it fast enough to get it to blow out or be unstable with a 5.3:1 reel. 

• Like 1