rlcam

Jig help,please

New to this site and to lure making(as you might have read on hardbaits).What kind of skirt material is the all around best,and what does the round rubber do that silicone doesn't and what conditions would you use it over silicone.What is the best skirt collar is best(that doesn't melt over time)do any of you use wire ,and if so what type and size.What is one of the more favored head styles,I see alot of the poison tail.Would be interested in a mold for a grass jig like the all terrain tackle or the revenge jig where the eye is counter sunk if any one knows where to get one.Thanks for any help,I have a ton more but will give you a break for now.

I only use silicone because it's available in so many colors. As far as collars, I only use the mickey mouse ones that hold rattles. Spinnerbaits and jigs. I don't like the other collars. The mickey mouse ones are a little harder to work with because they don't stretch as much, but they don't dry rot like the other ones do. They only come in black, too. I dunno if that's a problem for you, but It doesn't bother me. I'm willing to deal with the black on a clear skirt if the collar actually lasts as long as the lure. A lot of guys tie them with thread or wire, but I'm too lazy, and I like to be able to change the skirt. Tying is permanent.

For the jigs, when you say eye, are you referring to an actual eye or the line tie? If you're talking about recessed eyes, I like the snootie jig in grass. Not too good in snotgrass, but in weedy stuff it's pretty good. The only problem is that it doesn't have a trailer keeper.

I'm with clamboni on the silicone skirts for the variety of colors and mickey mouse collars for production. I prefer to tie my personal jigs with wire unless I need a rattle. I think tied jig skirts have more action and you don't have to worry about the skirt slipping down the hook.

I do telecom work so I have an unlimited supply of 24awg copper wire. I will grab 22awg every chance I get though. I make 2 wraps with the 24awg or one wrap with the 22awg.

I think the extra work is worth it, and I do it the hard way. I make all my skirts with collars, adjust my strands until they are blended nice, then slide them on the jig head, tie with the wire and then slip the collar off.

It sounds like a real PITA, but once I get going, I can make quiet a few in an evening and I have a lot of confidence in them.

I like the silicone skirt material also, the rubber skirts have a little more flare and movement in the water but will melt together in clumps after a few days in a tackle box or a few hours in a hot sun. As for skirt collars, I use the rubber ones for the ease of use and like Clamboni said, I like to change them from time to time and wire or thread doesn't allow you to do it quickly or easily. I do have a few spinnerbaits and jigs that I know I'll never change skirts so I have them tied with wire, www.luremaking.com has jig tying wire thats 26 gauge in different colors if you want to go that route.

Make two tight wraps around the jig collar and then twist the wire once by hand. Then use a pair of needlenose to twist 3-4 more times which will tighten the wraps. Be careful not to break the wire. You will get used to how tight you can go without breaking it. Then cut the twisted portion leaving about 3 twists on the jig, and fold that portion flat.

Hope that makes sense.

For swimming jigs, I use mainly the rubber skirt materials....they bend back nicely and quiver a lot. I tend to tie them sparsely and use some flashabou in silver holographic in between some of the rubber. If you spray the rubber jigs with Armor All occasionally during the year, they will keep well, especially through the summer. In winter, I like the silicone for swimming jigs as they don't have as much action more like a cold minnow or fingerling.

I use silicone for strands on my rabbit hair jigs to emulate crawdads...they lay out nicely and basically stay prettymuch with the lay of the hair....I only use three or four strands over the rabbit hair.

I tie mainly smaller jigs, 1/8 to 1/16 ounces, so am using thread for the process of making the jigs.

Hope this helps, Mac