Jump to content
6 replies to this topic
Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:20 AM
I just started using some brushable lacquer, and it says fumes are dangerous. so I have been coating some thing outside. Do I need a respirator if I am just doing a couple quick dips and closing it back up? i can smell it, but I am outside. Any idea if this stuff is is bad even with ventilation?
Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:12 PM
All paint is bad for you. if it bothers you then wear protective gear if it dosent bother you then dont worry to much about it if you want to realy get into it the bad chemical is called Xylene which no respirator on the market can filter so unless you have a mask that pumps fresh oxygen to it then no matter what you will breath it. other chemicals like ketones and toluene can be filtered with a respirator but in a well ventilated area you should be fine. but even latex paint in mass amounts will hurt you in the long run.
Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:37 PM
Wear a respirator and solvent resistant gloves at all times when working with solvents, I have a permanent headache because i didn't wear one until it was too late one thing about a lot of solvents is that they numb you ability to smell them early on . with me i would not know it was causing damage until I started to not be able to feel my scalp when I washed my hair. granted I was using large amounts of Lacquer thinner daily and spraying contact adhesive with high concentration of toluene.
granted this is not the same exposure that you get if you are brushing baits outside but each exposure is accumulative no matter how small it does its damage to brain and nerve cells and liver damage..just giving you a heads up from first hand knowledge and a lot of research wear the proper safety equipment and protect yourself we are not able to fix some of the damage these chemicals produce.
Now go out and make some killer baits and catch a pig....
Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:05 AM
+1 I had the same thing happen to me. We used to think a lacquer high was fun on the job. But the damage lasts forever.
Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:35 PM
Thanks tons guys for the information. I think I am just going to stick with proprionate for sealing and etex(soon to be DN). Is acetone just as bad? I figure those guys do nails all day in those nail shops using acetone. Also does DN pose any problems with toxicity?
Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:20 PM
judge for yourself I use it but only with my respirator and gloves and plenty of ventilation I knew a few surfboard glassers that were pretty screwed up from it. there is not a single solvent that is not bad for you just some are worse than others