Hawg Hooker

Boss powder paints

That looks really good.  Have you done many heads so far or just a few?  I'm asking because I have been able to do the same paint job in a fluid bed successfully but not consistently, I'll get more bad than good.  Now, I do use the fluid bed to put the candy color on, I only put the foundation on without the fluid bed but it looks like you got it going, nice job.   BTW, what hosting site or app are you using to post pictures?

Edited by smalljaw

Hey Smalljaw...i have done a couple dozen so far. I bought a few of the different top coats colors and will be trying those soon. All of the ones i made vary slightly with different degrees of color on the top coat. For the most part though they look pretty similar. The base coat if very heavy powder so it didn't fluidize much but i figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it in the fluid bed. Most of the color separation happened in the curing stage in the oven. Seemed like the hotter spots in the oven yielded better results. I took the photo with my iphone then uploaded it to my Mac...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hawg Hooker said:

Hey Smalljaw...i have done a couple dozen so far. I bought a few of the different top coats colors and will be trying those soon. All of the ones i made vary slightly with different degrees of color on the top coat. For the most part though they look pretty similar. The base coat if very heavy powder so it didn't fluidize much but i figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it in the fluid bed. Most of the color separation happened in the curing stage in the oven. Seemed like the hotter spots in the oven yielded better results. I took the photo with my iphone then uploaded it to my Mac...

You are correct, the curing cycle is where the veins seem to pop out. I know when I've done that finish the best way was to paint the base or foundation, then run a short 5 to 10 minute cure cycle and then go over top with the candy color.  If I didn't run the cure the candy color would seem to stop the veins from fully coming out and it would be very dark. Now, I wasn't using the jig armor paint from BOSS, I was using Columbia Coatings silver vein and the protec candy color which produces the same effect but it may be different from what BOSS has made.

• Like 1