Ken-Spin

Discolored Hooks When Curing Powder Painted Jigs

I just poured a group of 1 oz jigs with nickle salt water hooks. They were powder coated with white powder paint and cured at 400 degrees for between 15 -20 minutes per the powder paint instructions. The hooks have purple and brown heat discoloration.

I did a second batch, backed the heat down some and watched them. As soon as I saw some discoloration start I removed them from the oven. This was at about 14 minutes at around 350 degrees. I am not sure these are fully cured and still have some slight discoloration.

Now the questions:

Have I ruined the hooks?

Any suggestions as how not to discolor the hooks and still cure the jigs. These were going to a client but I need to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or advice

If your hooks are getting to the brown stage, then they are subject to temperatures of around 500F. You should check the temperature of your oven. Here is a link showing the various colors and their corresponding temperatures:

http://www.bluebladesteel.com/temper_colors_chart.html

I am fairly sure that your hooks will not have been damaged.

Dave

Thanks Gentlemen, for the information. I checked the oven with an oven thermometer purchased for that reason, however it may just have been in a slightly different location.

I agree. Check the temp of your oven. If you are in a pinch you could wrap the hooks in tinfoil to try to to keep them a little cooler. Just a thought. I haven't tried it.