RSNeely

Re-Melts

The runners and sprues in CNC ,hand injection molds consume a great deal of plastic.You can successfully re-use them if you add new plastic and are willing to experiment by adding new and varied colorant w/flake. Cut them up  into small pieces before melting again. Mechanical stirring is necessary while re-heating. Solid colors are easy but laminated sprues required cutting in half w/ a knife.You'll have some mixing of colors inside the sprues but separate them and treat the predominant colors individually. White and pearl hues are the toughest to re-use due to heat degradation of the colors.That said,they can be re-used if not overheated w/ the 1st use.

I do from time to time. I tried posted a pic of the re-melts I just did today but for some reason it wont let me? But they were scraps from 5 different colors that I re-melted into some grub, shad, and lizard's. Posted pictures of them up on my Facebook page and was instantly blown up with people wanting some of them. I always though put the disclaimer out that they are from scrap re-melts and that once the color is gone that it probably won't ever be exactly reproduced.