Jig Man

Weedguard…

I’m still in the process of emulating Pee Wee jigs.  I fish in some narly stuff with lots of rocks and wood.  I have been using 60# surflon and it seems better than the Jewell wire.  I bought some reducer pins from Cadman.  They will allow me to select several sizes of wire weed guard.  If you had the option would you use 90# surflon or stick with the 60#?  I’m interested in options please before I proceed.

Jig Man,

This is what I have tried and my thoughts on it. I have been using Mason brand nylon coverd stainless steel leader material. It's called Nylostrand. It is similar to Surflon.  I switched to Nylostrand because at one point I was using up 300 foot spools every month and the Nylostrand was cheaper with the same results. Now to answer your question. I've put in a piece of stainless steel wire into the mix of weedguard strand to make it stiffer. As much as this seemed to work, you would not believe how many times I got stabbed with the solid wire on the water. So I abandoned the solid wire idea. What I have done was to eliminate all weedguards and go with a 90 lb piece of Nylostrand. After trying that, I didn't get the results I wanted and went with 150 lb Nylostrand which seemed to work fine for me. This was when I used to fish rivers. Now here are the thicknesses of the Nylostrand.

60 lb test-----.032

90 lb test-----.036

150 lb test----.041

210 lb test----.051

I have the 60 and the 90 lb Nylostrand at home and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in stiffness. When you get to the higher lb. test it does get stiffer.

Another thing you might try is putting two pieces of 60 or 90 l together in the weedguard hole. If you lightly heat them they will fuse to themselves making it look like one piece. I still think that you should go up in size with just one piece of Surflon or Nylostrand.

I'm just brainstorming here for what it's worth.