lure_learning

Worms stick together after bagging?

I noticed last night that a bunch of my worms kind of stick together after being packaged for a few weeks.

These were poured with MF soft plastic and various manufacturers colorants. After pouring, and cooling(about an hour) I place a bags worth in a container and add maybe 5 drops of MF grape scent oil and maybe 5 drops of Dels worm oil and mix them around. This makes them plenty lubed for packaging. After about a week they seem to absorb the oil and somewhat stick together and become more dull in appearance. Any thoughts?

I have heard that baits can and will absorb some oil but I didn't realize the baits would stick together.

thanks for your help!

I think Millsryno is right. MF is one of the fastest curing plastisols, but it still takes longer than an hour. I'd give them a few hours before packaging and see if that makes a difference. Unless I'm in a rush to get orders out, I usually will not pour and package the baits on the same day.

After about a week they seem to absorb the oil and somewhat stick together and become more dull in appearance.

Try not using the worm oil, it will harden the worms and may also cause the color to "fade" or bleed (helps when pouring multi colored baits). Use a good quality scent added to the bag, (procure, kicknbass), I haven't had any problems with either. You can also add salt to the bag after or instead of scent, that will definitely make the baits stay away form each other. Make sure your plastic is mixed well when you pour. I noticed that even at the bottom of a 5'er of MF there will be hardener that has settled out. :twisted:

As far as curing, plastisol should be cured (crosslinked) when it cools completely.That includes the center of the bait being cool since the plastic cools from the outside in, trapping heat. The smaller the part, the faster the cure time. Like Al said, about an hour?

Been awfully quiet here lately?

How strong of a smell is the pro-cure alewive and crayfish?

How about the trophy bass formula?

Which type do you use to simply add to the bag verse cook into the bait or is it the same? sauce or oil?

I am just hoping not to stink the basement too badly :rolleyes:

I have never been a firm believer in scents but willing to give them a whirl.

thanks again

btw, I poured some last night and they are sitting on a cookie sheet now. I think that was my issue. Thanks!

Stay away from adding the butters or sauces to your plastic mixture. Use ONLY the oils when mixing with the plastic. Butters and sauces will cause the plastic to bubble, but they are great for adding to the baits in bags.

I haven't tried trophy bass. Sounds like a new one that I have to get!

All of Pro Cure's scents are very strong, 'specially threadfin shad. Be prepared to stink up any area when using this stuff. 8O

My favorites are garlic plus and anise.

I think "worm oil" has quite a bit of plastisizer in it, so it will keep the baits soft. Mineral oil will make the baits harder over time. Some of the scents work just as well on the outside as cooked in, and probably takes less of it. (Kick n bass for instance). Some of them will work, but have a little water in them and will foam if cooked. (Powerbait fer instance) Go ahead and experiment to see what you like. That's the beauty of hand poured.

jm