chas48

Any one making stand up jigs?

:eek:oooh, you fish with your homemade jigs? Clean the eye of paint before curing and after. Well, yes if the paint edges are sharp or you roughed the metal cleaning paint you're gonna break your line some. You pretty much got your answers in the last thread. You trying to erect a monument to your error? ;)

Knots are not always equal. Some fish jigs with a loop knot to get more action. Using a stronger knot such as a palomer may subdue jig action but reduce knot breakage.....Still having a hard time believing you fish with your homemade jigs!:nuhuh: If you got burrs that are causing your line to break, you're doing something wrong!:teef: You might want to try a duo-lock snap to see if that cures your line breaking. But hey, if you keep getting broke off on the hook set, you know the fish like those homemade jigs. Unless the logs and rocks are hungry too!:whistle:Keep after it, once you figure it out you ought to load up on fish!

What the heck are you suppose to do w/ jigs you make at home?

The monument will be for the PROCESS of figuring it out.

I fish 3 times a week and tourneys every weekend. Ive tried every knot and 3 diffrent lines. I believe its the stand up jigs motion. If you have any paint on the eye.

First.....after the powder coat cures, I cant get ALL the paint off the jig eye( the paint is too hard)1a... (I cant powder coat without getting some of that dust on the hot eye).......2nd, If there is any paint on the jig eye, the line will break because the knot will slide on the eye. Third...If they made the mold w/ the eye going the other way you wouldnt have this problem.

NOW........any body actually make and fish stand up jigs so I can compare notes?

ps (1a) If you know of a way to powder coat without getting dust on the eye fill me in.......

Chas48

I do some Stand Up in 1/4 & 3/8oz. Sell some of them and never had any complaints with them.

Use powder paint on them always. You have to keep the paint to a minimum around the line tie before curing them. If you attempt to remove excess paint you will leave very sharp burrs that will cut your line. mine end up with hard smooth powder painted line tie by keeping the paint to a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Garry.

Chas48,

I powder paint all my jigs with the use of a fluid bed, not sure if you are or not. Give this a try, it may solve your problem. First off, I don't worry about getting paint in the hook eye, it is the method to remove it that is important.

Heat the jig and swish in powder, remove and tap off excess.

I use a piece of stainless spinner wire just large enough to pass easily through the hook eye and pointed on one end. Now immediately after removing from the powder, take the piece of wire and pass it through the eye of the hook. As you are passing it through, rotate it with your finger and thumb and pull through the eye all in one motion. By rotating the wire the soft powder will most times grab the wire and as you are pulling, the paint will spiral on the wire. What is happening here is the wire is slowly drawing paint off the eye of the hook. By the time you have the wire through the eye, only a small amount of paint will remain on the eye. This will be smooth and very hard after curing.

You don't have to pull the wire very fast, but steady is the key. The paint being removed on the wire wants to be drawn to the hot jig, so a continual motion is necessary.

Give it a try and let me know of your results and opinions. If you have any other questions, let them fly or PM me.

IT WORKS FOR ME! :wink:

chas

It's hot in one of those ovens...I'd run also...maybe you could wire them to the racks...Sorry...

If you don't have a fluid bed you probably are applying too much paint. If you do have a fluid bed you likely are not dipping the jig fast enough and applying too much paint. Read my lips...Clean the paint from the eye of the hook before you cure it in the oven. At this time the paint will be brittle and should flake off the eye of the hook easily. Any remaining paint should smooth out during the curing in the oven and should not cause problems.

If you cured the jig before you tried to clean the hook eye, paint removal is much more difficult.

I have used the heated tip of an ice pick to force powder paint out of the jigs eye after the paint had cured using the technique given by Reeves for removing paint prior to curing. Cured powder paint removed in this manner needs to be thoroughly removed to prevent residue line damage. Just heat the tip of the icepick and poke it through the eye of the jig using a rotary motion. Clean the icepick and repeat until all paint residue has been removed. You can sometimes insert the icepick too far into the jig eye and break the eye or distort it using this method. So don't get too tough on the jigs.

A fluid bed is a big help in powder painting jigs. Without one powder painting is a real adventure!

Chas,

I pour and paint many of these heads. Even found gamakatsu hooks to fit.

Try using a paint brush to put on the powder paint. You can get three to four colors and blend if you like. Since I started using the paint brush method I have not had to clean one single jig eye.