ChadK

pouring Del's 4" Bev.

any tips when pouring this beaver? I had my first attempt tonight with a couple runs and could not get a good pour. Several issues.

1. The bait seems to need topping off. Otherwise it would have a hollow head.

2. Plastic did not seem to want to form all the way to the bottom tail and into the conncecing groves.

3.the side tails seemed to have notches in them also.

Chad

most baits will need topping off cause the plastic shrinks.

need to ask this firs to answer the question better

Salt yes or no

how cold is it were your pouring. This sounds like the problem

is your plastic runny or thick. Are the air vents clogged?

The split tail bugs pours pretty good, if its cold were you pour heat the mold up a tad in the over on a flat rack.

the plastic either is to thick or the mold is cold as far as the tail not pouring all the way goes.

also what type of plastic are you using hard plastic soft plastic or med plastic ( brand is not important)this will make a difference on how to pour it.

First off Del, thanks for answering and being available to answer these questions on the forum. I do think the mold being cold could have been a problem. I'll be sure to get it hotter next time, I've been warming some on an electric griddle with a towell in between and that seems to work well.

Medium plastic (regular)

Yes, there was salt in the formula but not real heavy.

what should I check the vent holes with? I was thinking a needle might fit?

ChadK,

I have the same mold and have just had the same problem with mine. As Del said the plastic will shrink a little so you need to top off every one you pour. As far as the tail not pouring the mold is either too cold or your plastic is not hot enough. You have to be patient and pour a thin stream of plastic especially for the tail. Do not try and pour a whole bunch of plastic in the mold at one time or it will clog the cavities. As far as the things sticking off the side these are probably from the vent holes filling up with plastic. Thats okay and kind of cool anyways. It adds another dimension to the bait. If it looks like a mouse has ben chewing on the dog ears on the sides you could be pouring too fast which will create an air pocket therefore leaving a small chunk of plastic missing, or more holes need to be drilled near the top of the dog ears to allow the air to escape (I just did this to mine). Try and heat the mold but not too hot because it will take longer to remove the plastic each time you pour. Aluminum really retains heat so if it gets too hot you will have to wait longer between pours for the plastic to solidify. The more pours you do the mold will get hotter and give you better looking baits. If you mess up a few just remelt them.

You are always going to have to top the bait off after every pour. I know its a pain but unfortunately thats what you have to do otherwise you end up with a hole in the head and a useless bait. Plastic shrinks as it cools. Thats why you are getting the cone heads. The problem I always have is that I have a 2 cavity mold and I immediately pour the second cavity right after the first but by the time I finish the second one the plastic in the pyrex has started to already cool so I have to reheat the plastic just for the top off's. It is only 42 degrees in my garage so that is the problem with the plastic cooling.

Chad, the topping off is a must, due to the plastic shrinking we have tried them with a 1/2" hole leading to the chamfer but the verdict still isn't in yet. one problem with adding the hole is it goes to the next size material and there is an added cost.

in a few pours it will come natural and be no big deal.

The 3-3.5 inch version. we can make them no problem but most people can't pour them as everything is smaller. I have a different version in smaller one that pours ok. but its pretty much the same size wings just the body and tail are shorter. the tail is the same thickness as the one we presently have.

Delw

I'd be interested if it were available and functional. how long is it? or even a 3.5 mud bug. Just something smaller.

I just need to find the rythym. trying to measure how quick to pour and be able to get back to the previous hole in time to top off and not wind up with a hollow tip.'