Ed Brabant

Try this

I've used split rings in open molds before and they work well.

What about split rings spaced out held together with a fine thread. You may not even need to modify the stick mold for the string if it's fine enough.

www.novalures.com

I don't pour, that said, why not just daisy chain the split rings together and use a fine wire to hold them in place? Opinions and comments please.

Bruce that's basically what I was describing but with a fine thread. The wire would hold the molds apart and cause flashing of the pour. The thread should flatten out and prevent this. I can't try it just now as we are expecting company for the evening and the major has given me my marching orders. LOL

I'll try this tomorrow and post a pic if it works. I'll do it with clear plastic so it can be seen.

www.novalures.com

I think the sheet thing may cause a problem with clogging. The plastic will collect on it because it will not heat up as much as metal.

Nova, I don't know if it will be a problem as long as the hot plastic flows around it on either side when laid across the cavity.

Ok guys. I just finished doing the splitring thing;lol.

First I put the splitrings on the thread and lined them up in the mold.

Second, put the mold together and pull the string from each side to center the rings. Tighten the mold to flaten the string.

Pour the baits and let cool a little. Then open the mold and pull the string right through the baits.

As you will notice there are bubbles in the plastic as well as voids. This was cause by the thread. I used ordinary sewing thread which caused the plastic to bubble. This can be avoided by using waxed flytying thread; which will be easier to pull through the baits.

Give this a try; it's quite easy to do.

Resize of Re-exposure of ring1.JPG

Resize of Re-exposure of ring2.JPG

Resize of Re-exposure of Re-exposure of ring3.JPG

3369_thumb.attach

3370_thumb.attach

3371_thumb.attach

I told you guys to do this at least a year ago.

Use drywas tape. You know the sticky fiberglass mesh. No need to alter your mold just cut a half inch strip and lat it across the mold. Close the mold tight and pour. The bait pours great, stays flexable and is much more tare risistant for wacky rigging.

Ed its great that you posted your findings. Obviously when I posted it the guys missed it. It was deep in a heated thread about knock offs. It seems that a lot of guys just ask questions instead of actualy trying to figure things out on there own or doing experiments. You tried something and it worked and then you decided to share it with everybody. Good on you!

That is how you learn. Actualy to tell the truth sometimes I learn more when my ideas DONT work.

I got mine from Del. I had a friend of mine cut the slot in the mold. Yesterday I tried the fiberglass joint tape. Looks like it will work out well. The self sticking is a good thing. It stays where you put it. I doubled up the fiberglass joint tape and the fine mesh screen. That really worked well. Excellent hook holding. And it really resists the hook tearing out. I like Stankdogs "French wire keepers" idea. I think that will help prevent the bait from sliding back through the hole it made in the bait. Is there anyone who makes a hook with a barb at the bend? To prevent the hook from pulling back through the hole in the bait?