Pup

Nail Polish Questions for Jig Makers

These questions are for those who use nail polish (NP) to paint lead heads.

Do any of you use a nail polish thinner? If so, what brand do you use? Also, please reply if you use something different than a proprietary product designed or marketed specifically for thinning NP.

I have many favorite older colors that are drying out and would like to thin them back to a useable consistency.

Thanks for any help! B)

Nova has got it right on the money. Acetone to thin it, and acetone to take it off anything you put on that is metal. It is also what women (maybe guys in this day and age):lolhuh: use to take nail polish off of their fingernails. I would do this in a area, where you won't spill any on a carpet, wood floor or linoleum floor. Acetone will eat everything up.

Does this not leave a smell that could turn away a leary fish?

No this does not. I used to use nail polish way back before I got into powder painting. Once it fuly dries, all the vapor disappears. Now, I wouldn't go back to nail polish because powder painting is so much easier to work with, without all the vapors. Also, you can mix and blend colors, under the sun with powder painting, which you can not do with nail polish.

when i try to powder dip though i get it either too hot or too cold and it will chunk up on one side and make the jig way bigger than i want. is there a tutorial video anywhere on powder painting? because right now i suck at it.

All I can tell you is that it takes time. Rome wasn’t built in a day. When you start painting jigs, find a heat source that works for you. If you read the threads and posts here, many guys here use different ways to heat their jigs, all with the same results. If you are swishing your jigs through powder in a container, you must constantly fluff your powder. It’s a must otherwise you will get lumps and dripping paint on your jigs, especially when you go to bake your jig. As far as tutorials go, if I were you, I would start with Benjamin’s video/tutorial on powder painting and fluid beds. The more you read about this the more you will understand on what needs to be done. BTW Benjamin also sells powder paint and fluid beds at a reasonable price. Here is his link Welcome to TJ's Tackle. I also have a tutorial, but it is a little bit advanced, it covers powder painting with multi-colors. There is also some good info in there also. PM me your e-mail, and I will send it to you if you want. Lastly, all I can tell you is to ask questions and practice. My motto is this. Practice, practice, practice, and if you think you’re good, practice some more. I’ve been doing this for going on 9 years, and I’m still learning things, and I still do screw things up occasionally. It’s all a part of learning. If you have any more questions, post them here, and someone will help you out, or you can PM me.

Edited by cadman