AustinConn

New to this

Hello, Woo first post!. I am getting started into pouring, I am getting a order set up with lurecraft for plastics and molds. I want to try this out before I spend the 90$ to get the molds and stuff. Could I make a mold out of silicone cauk? Dad has alot of it and I think it would work the best. We don't have any plaster of paris. Also could you melt old plastic fishing lures (the same color) down and use that to test the mold?

Welcome to the madness:) I don't know about the silicone but I haven't read of anyone using it they use RTV, I use Bondo fiberglass resin. As for re-melts yes you can easily do that in your microwave in a Pyrex cup. I do encourage you to read the sticky on do's and don'ts some great advice and allot of safety info there.

Good luck and look forward to your future posts.

type in your questions under search forums you will find all the info and direections on how to make all the mold types the cheapest is plaster of paris about 15$ for something like 20 lbs maybe 15 dont matter both will make a crap load of molds then you will need to seal them next is bondo fiberglass resin its around 12 bucks a can dont need to be sealed but take exta steps to make sure every thing is lubed up a lil because the resin will stick to your frame and back board.

Here is my first try at a mold. I lubed the worms up with vasiline before putting them in the white silicone cauk.

Did you mix the silicone with a few drops of water? That would cause it to cure in under 10 minutes. The reason I ask is because silicone cannot be too thick (Not much more than 1/4") or it won't air cure. If you didn't mix water into it, Put it in a humid area (A sealed plastic storage box with some water in it, would work well) and spray water over it.:twocents:

Does heat or the cold harden silicone cauk?

It should do fine at room temp. Is the silicone you have 100% silicone? To test it, Squeeze out some in a circle, add a few drops of water and mix it in well. !00% silicone should set up quickly. If that works, make up a box squeeze out enough to fill it and mix it with water. Fill the box with it, using a putty knife, and put your models into it and use something flat to get the surface smooth and flat while pushing the models well into the mixture. It will (100% silicone) be set and ready to pour into in under 10 Minutes.

You have to work quickly so practice on something small for a start.

How much silicone do you have?