Garneau Baits

Bears Hand Injectors-- Do They Work On Bob's Molds?

I was wondering if anyone is using Bears Hand injectors on Bob's molds? If so how is it working out for you? and does the 2 color injector work on Bobs molds also? Thanks, Ted

Ted,

The injector does not fit properly into Bob's molds,but I have shot some baits from one of Bob's custom molds using Bears injector without issues(pic attached).I have not tried a laminate yet,but maybe I'll get around to trying a laminate in Bob's mold tomorrow.I will post a pic here or on Bears site when I'm finished.

NOTE:The mold that I had Bob custom build was a hand pour,the sprew is the same as his on line molds.

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

Ted,

The injector does not fit properly into Bob's molds,but I have shot some baits from one of Bob's custom molds using Bears injector without issues(pic attached).I have not tried a laminate yet,but maybe I'll get around to trying a laminate in Bob's mold tomorrow.I will post a pic here or on Bears site when I'm finished.

NOTE:The mold that I had Bob custom build was a hand pour,the sprew is the same as his on line molds.

HawG, So you do have Bears 2 color injector? If so, i'm interested if you can shoot 2 colors into Bob's split tail mold and post a pic. Thanks again, Ted

HawG, So you do have Bears 2 color injector? If so, i'm interested if you can shoot 2 colors into Bob's split tail mold and post a pic. Thanks again, Ted

Ted,

The mold for the baits pictured above is the only Bob's 2 piece that I own,but the spew hole is the same as his split tail ..... I had one of those molds at one time.I will shoot a swimmin' stick bait with the 2 color injector,and post a pic of the results :D

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

Ted,

The mold for the baits pictured above is the only Bob's 2 piece that I own,but the spew hole is the same as his split tail ..... I had one of those molds at one time.I will shoot a swimmin' stick bait with the 2 color injector,and post a pic of the results :D

Hawg-- Got ya now. Let me know how it goes. I would think it should work

Ted,

I would go right to the source and ask Bear. He has or had that split tail mold and of course he has the injectors.

I just went and checked some of Bob's molds that I have, against Bear's medium injector. The 3.5" frog's sprue is a little too small for the nozzle. The 4" frog's sprue is large enough but you don't get the snug fit as with the molds intended for it's use. I, myself wouldn't try it as it's an accident waiting to happen..........for sure! A little too much pressure and boom, it's coming back at you. I've been contemplating the same thing because I like the injection molds I have of Bear's. The thing to remember is, if you do inject Bob's or any other "hand pour" molds, you still have to go back and "top off". With the single cavity injection molds, you can do the laminates and they do not require any topping off. I do believe one or some of the guys modified the nozzle (I don't remember for which molds but there is thread on his site) to fit snug and inject more safely with the "hand pour molds".

I would go right to the source and ask Bear. He has or had that split tail mold and of course he has the injectors.

I just went and checked some of Bob's molds that I have, against Bear's medium injector. The 3.5" frog's sprue is a little too small for the nozzle. The 4" frog's sprue is large enough but you don't get the snug fit as with the molds intended for it's use. I, myself wouldn't try it as it's an accident waiting to happen..........for sure! A little too much pressure and boom, it's coming back at you. I've been contemplating the same thing because I like the injection molds I have of Bear's. The thing to remember is, if you do inject Bob's or any other "hand pour" molds, you still have to go back and "top off". With the single cavity injection molds, you can do the laminates and they do not require any topping off. I do believe one or some of the guys modified the nozzle (I don't remember for which molds but there is thread on his site) to fit snug and inject more safely with the "hand pour molds".

I did talk to Bear today. He said you would probably have to modify the tip. I just wanted to see if any TUers were injecting Bob's molds with any success ( high percentage turn out rate). Also I am really intrested in knowing if anyone has been able to use Bears 2 color injector on Bob's 4.2 and 3.5 Split tail molds.

thanks 152nd I will go look for that thread on Bears site.

I did talk to Bear today. He said you would probably have to modify the tip. I just wanted to see if any TUers were injecting Bob's molds with any success ( high percentage turn out rate). Also I am really intrested in knowing if anyone has been able to use Bears 2 color injector on Bob's 4.2 and 3.5 Split tail molds.

thanks 152nd I will go look for that thread on Bears site.

not to get off topic--- but how do I get my old Website off my Sig in my posts. I went into my settings and changed it,(I thought I did anyway) hit save and my old web add keeps coming back.

Thanks for the info cintaskevin. do you have the 2 color injector? what size do you use?

The 2 color injector tip is the same 5/8" diameter in size as Bears other tips,they only vary where they enter the injector ..... not the mold.

Hope this helps,I'll shoot that swim stik laminate in a lil' bit :)

One problem is the stability of the mold as you try to shoot it.Make sure that you have the mold clamped securely,so that it won't turn over ..... and keep in mind,that the injector does not fit properly !!!!

Edited by HAWGHUNNA

I know this wont help you with the dual injector but an easy mod to the single injector to make it fit right is to run a bolt through the Hole in the nozzle and tighten a nut down onto it. Then chuck the bolt up into a drill press or even a hand drill, whatever you have available, and turn it on. Use a file and file the tip down to the size needed for your mold. Quick easy painless and cheap. And when your done it will probably look like it was made that way in the first place. At least the one I saw did. The same mod could be done with the dual injector but you may need a lathe of some sort or jaws that would open large enough to hold the large end of the nozzle. I think my rod lathe would even work for it.

Might just be easier to get a hand injector from Bob or Kevin. That way you have one made to fit and you are good to go without that in the back of your mind....

I do like the idea that Dave gave though... An RTV adapter could work and be easy to make.

Jim

I experimented using Bear's injectors with two of Del's molds without modifying the tip. Although I only shot 4 baits with the duo injector into the beaver mold, the results were fairly consistent. The body was a nice laminate with the green pumpkin and blue layers clearly separated, but at the claws, the blue dominated, possibly due to the strength of the colorants involved. I also injected around 2 dz of del's toads (after venting the feet) with the single injector and got great results. Without modifying the tip, the sprue hole and injector tip were close enough in diameter that the tip was able to locate the sprue hole. I didn't have a problem with hot plastic leaking from around the junction of mold and injector because I did not force the injectors- this time.

I am hoping that someone will come up with a nice adapter that will allow us to do this more safely and build in sprue capacity so that we do not have to top off the molds.

Hope this helps and be safe, Dave

I use all Bears stuff so can’t comment on what works with Bob’s. Don't have any of his yet. But I have made new tips for Bears med injector to fit my own molds as well as trimming the tip down in size on a lathe to fit a mold and re-drilling other molds opening them up to fit Bears tips. Very easy to modify any of this stuff to use with other manufactures products.

I also save the spurs when injecting Bears molds to use on making 2 sided resin or POP molds. This way I know I have the proper size to use the injector for them as well.

Be very careful opening up any vents when modifying hand pour molds to inject. Couple thousands to big a vent hole and plastic will pour out draining your mold.

Jay

This is a picture of 2 medium tips for Bears injectors. One is in original condition and the other i modified to be used on other brands of aluminum molds. It works great on the other brands of molds and I do not see why a person couldn't do it with the adaptor for the 2 color injector.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt226/zbasser/toolsandtuff/5-23-09007.jpg

Might just be easier to get a hand injector from Bob or Kevin. That way you have one made to fit and you are good to go without that in the back of your mind....

I do like the idea that Dave gave though... An RTV adapter could work and be easy to make.

Jim

Problem is Jim that the injector they sell is identicle to Bears. So mods will still have to be made if you want a good fit in some molds.