Momoe

Top Coat For Resin Baits

Hi everyone.  I have been pouring over the debates of Epoxy vs MCU for top coating.  what I noticed is most all talk about the lure being wood.  I use a resin for my lures and wanted to know if anyone had a preference to 1 over the other or if there is a down side to MCU on resin?  Just like you all, I am looking for the most cost/time efficient top coat that will last.

thanks

Mo

MCU tends to be pretty touchy about what goes underneath it, especially if you use a solvent based product to undercoat your bait.  It's also difficult to store without beginning to harden unless you use the "tap the can" method of storing and dispensing it.  But it does provide an excellent thin tough topcoat that I really like.  Epoxy is the "old stand-by".  It makes a very attractive topcoat that is thicker than most others and is very durable too.  It is also very tolerant about other coatings since it cures by its own chemical reaction.  Downsides - you need to measure and mix it right to get best results;  it tends to draw away from any sharp edge on a bait and will soon wear off at that feature;  it will eventually tend to yellow at least slightly from UV exposure.  Player's choice.  I use both and like them both, just depending on the specific bait I'm building and what it will be used for.

I use Etex over smooth-on resin. It works fine. The problems start if you use 2 part foam resins. You really need to find something to seal the bait first or it will be bubble-palooza on the tops where the pour hole is and those bubbles can never be covered by more coats of epoxy as they will just keep coming threw.