Shadrap1

Auto Clear

I tried painting a reel once and used a spray can auto clearcoat, which began to chip pretty quickly.  JMHO, if you're going to the considerable trouble to paint a reel you want a two part catalyzed auto clearcoat with a "high solids" content, which is much more durable.  There are plenty of them on the market.  Even then, it won't be as durable as the finishes you get on factory reels.  If you go the two-part route, use a solvent rated face mask and good ventilation because the isocyanate in two part auto clearcoats is poisonous.  It's why you see auto painters dressed in space suits!     

Your right Bob isocyanates are really nasty. They can give you some real bad lung damage. I was surprised to find out from 3M that no face respirators can be used only the external feed air hoods. Also a warning to you guys who pour 2 part polyurethane resins that they contain isocyanates and it is dangerous until it cures.

I used the Duplicolor when I painted a reel.  Chipped pretty easily.  I don't think you'll find a really durable one part aerosol auto clearcoat that will give good service on a reel, especially over a water based acrylic paint which in and of itself has limited adhesion.  JMHO