Blacklabelsociety

Cutting Lips Out Of G10 - Fr4

Ok Before I stick a piece of G10 in my mouth and try to chew it. I have taken on the task of cutting out my lips. I pretty much copied some of the usual lips. I traced them out with a sharpie and thought I could cut it out with tin snips. Well they do ok but I cracks out and splinters when you cut. So I thought about a Dremel amd I tried to use a thin cutting wheel and it works but it is also Alot of work. So Im wondering if Im using the wrong kind of snips or I dont have the correct wheel on the Dremel. Im a critic of any thing that is out of line and or straight. So do you fine Hard Bait freaks have any advice for me. I have made metal and plastic templates and they work but the lines are just not the same. I have heard a router works but I dont know. I getting wore out with it. Thanks God Bless All

I use computer designs, printed out and glued with paper glue. I rough cut on a bandsaw and trim to the line on a belt sander with a side disk. Quick, easy and efficient. These tools get used for many jobs, especially the belt sander, probably the most used tool in my workshop.

Dave

• Like 1

Ditto what Dave does. By using a simple drawing app you are able to design/draw your your lips on the computer and then print them out at a 1 to 1 ratio. I know absolutely nothing about CAD, but use a simple drawing program that BobP told me about. One good thing about designing/drawing your lips on the computer is that you can save the file and print out the lips as needed.

After printing them out I use a low tack spray adhesive to affix them to the lip material and then give them a few minutes for the adhesive to cure a bit so the template doesn't slip. In my opinion it's always best to cut a little outside the line when doing the rough cut. You can then use some type of sanding operation to refine them to their final shape. This can be done with a Dremel, a bench mounted sander or whatever you have that is suitable for the job. You can even lay a piece of sandpaper on a firm, flat surface and do the final sanding by hand if you don't have the power tools.

Power Draw is the name of the drawing app I use and can be found at the link below.

good luck,

Ben

http://download.cnet.com/PowerDraw/3000-6677_4-10524100.html

I use Wiss M3 straight cut metal snips to cut G10.  The ones with the yellow handle, about $12 at Home Depot.  The Wiss have a compound action that cuts the 1/32" G10 I use very easily and also works well on 1/16" polycarbonate.  I cut just about a mm outside the Sharpie line then take it down to the exact shape with a Dremel equipped with a fine grit sanding cylinder.  Pretty fast and easy.

Everything has a learning curve Blacklabel. The trick is to NOT become overwhelmed by it. If something isn't working and your getting aggravated, or discouraged, step away from it for a while. Take a break. Grab a beverage. Relax. When your blood pressure has again fallen to an acceptable level try it again.

Something else to remember is there are always people here at TU that will do their best to give you a hand. None of us were born building lures. Or anything else for that matter. Even walking and not pooping our pants is a learned experience. Just give it time.

Ben