riverotter

Cnc Mill For Swim Baits.

I machine two sided stuff but really cheat.....

Instead of mounting directly to my table - I have a piece of renshape bolted to the cnc bed and faced flat.  This let's me machine holes right into it as necessary and saves me when I screw up a tooling path. (It happens!!!)

I clamp down my material and machine the first half - as soon as my part is finished... I use the mill to place two 1/4" diameter holes on the axis I'm going to flip - I machine through the material of the part and into the ren on the table a good 1/4-1/2" deep.  I then unclamp - push two 1/4 dowels into the ren and then push the part over the dowels.  Then clamp down.  Done.

What I like about this method is I never have to worry about zeroing against vice/mold or using anything to index the machine - and if something happens (blow a breaker, have your 5 year old shut off your computer while machining - yeah it happens) I can pic the part up - rezero the machine somewhere on the bed - drill two new holes - push the part down and keep going.  It works great for making soft-bait molds... as I use the holes I drill as the alignment pins to keep the halves together - so I can keep remounting the mold on my cnc effortlessly and tweak like crazy without worry of being off.

Hope this helps.

J.

• Like 1

where can i buy a vice at. I have a few but none that will fit on my router lol.

Most CNC routers don't have enough clearance for a regular vise.  Some do.  You can make your own low profile "Infinity Vise" like this.  I have made a couple of them when I just couldn't get a regular vise that would do the job for a particular application. 

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Infinity Vise Useable.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

Infinity Vise.jpg

Infinity Vise Top.jpg

Tiny Vise Edge Clamp.JPG

post-15637-0-50841200-1463442475_thumb.jpg

post-15637-0-68764700-1463442489_thumb.jpg

post-15637-0-25145800-1463442502_thumb.jpg

post-15637-0-45667900-1463442512_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob La Londe
  • Like 1

Bob, I am digging that infinity vise!

I have access to a Haas mini-mill at work which almost always has a vise set up so I went with a fixture that I flip. Locating is a breeze because it has a Renishaw probe.

• Like 1

now that Is what I need bob. right now I have a sacrificial piece of mdf. drilling holes and using dowells. I did make a pretty cool bait tonight. don't know how to post pics here. but it's a 8.5 in bass. thanks to my wife for helping put the design in 3d. she took a picture and about 10 hours later had a nice 3d model.