Salmonking

Small Bubbles In Clear Transparent Colors

Curios i have been trying to do clears transparent colors .The plastic is clear no bubbles in the  pot and when I shoot it there is small bubbles in the bait I have tried all heat ranges also slow inject fast still no luck 

any help would be great Thanks

Edited by Salmonking

You have to remember that there is air in the mold when you start.  The air has to push out of the mold when you push in plastic.  For feature points that trap air it can be that they aren't or can't be vented properly.  In your case it is more likely turbulence causing the plastic to swirl a little when you inject.  Usually you can reduce those bubbles by injecting pretty hot plastic at slow steady rate, but I see you have already tried that.

I am always curious about the solutions to a problem like this. 

I've got a couple personal molds that seem to exhibit this problem.  They are simple molds that have no other problem.  They just seem to have bubles suspended in the plastic.  I found holding pressure on the mold at the end of the shot for several seconds seemed to reduce the number and and size of the bubbles.  This lead me to believe that it could be minute amounts of moisture air expanding in the warm plastic as it cooled.  I don't have anyway to prove that, but I also noticed that sometimes these molds don't seem to have the problem at all. 

I'm sorry I could not give you more specific answers to your problem but I will be curious to know how you eventually solve it. 

Thanks Bob I have tried up to 350 .I get a few good baits but at that temp range it starts to ruin the colors Is it possible to modify the mold?

Ok.  I don't think a cold mold will fix the problem, but when you have tried all the obvious solutions that leaves the less obvious ideas. 

I was also thinking maybe a pretty hot mold.  Warm enough that you have to wait a while to demold. 

Ok Bob I will do a hot mold ..I will heat them up on my skillet that I have to use gloves to handle it!

I would have to ask which version of the shooting star do you have, there are more than a couple, I have had 2 of them, the original one Bear was selling (with the rotating manifold) and now the newest version from UltraMolds. Do you have the base plate with locking brackets? The only time I get bubbles in any baits is when the plastic is too cool in the pots and when the o-ring on the nozzle is about to fall apart. 

Edited by DaveMc1

I would have to ask which version of the shooting star do you have, there are more than a couple, I have had 2 of them, the original one Bear was selling (with the rotating manifold) and now the newest version from UltraMolds. Do you have the base plate with locking brackets? The only time I get bubbles in any baits is when the plastic is too cool in the pots and when the o-ring on the nozzle is about to fall apart. 

Hi Dave I have the new Minnie version .works awesome 

Edited by Salmonking

Hi every one.

Does this happened with all your molds?

How much plastic is in the pots when you shoot? 2 cups? Half or full?

You can reach for the bubbles in your inyector, load you inyectors with half plastic and let them cool, tacke out the cooled plastic and look for the bubbles.

The hand inyection proces is a never acurate proces, I mean, plastic temperature, inyection presure, cycle time, inyector position, mold temperature never is the same , etc, etc there are a lot of things to control.

• Like 1