barr5150

Tuning Tank?

Tank.pdf

Hope this works

In my mind if you put a center divider in round the out side corners of the fish tank. The center could be moved front to back to help the speed of water and flow. You could watch the lure action from the side. You could use a white or black background. The lure would be tested on the back end of the straight away. The out side of the tank corners rounded off with plastic. Could be plexy glass heated to the proper bend and where the pump is you would leave the bottom cut out for the water to flow in. The pump would have pvc pipe with holes drilled in it to push the water on the back side the vortexes should be worked out before it gets to the front.

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

Tank.pdf

I like the elbow pipe you have drawn coming out of the pump! That would move water through the entire water column. That was another problem with my design. The water coming out of the pump is moves alot faster then the water below it. I had to keep adjusting the lure to keep it right in the flow path. If it would get off a little the water pressure would push it down or to the side. Getting the water to move the same speed through the entire water column would be the key.

Here's my little ongoing effort, hope this advances this thread a bit, if we all add a bit we may eventually get it, I think "crowd sourcing" is what this is called :?:?.

I thought if I was going to make a test tank it would be large enough to actually swim lures or tether them in a current -- As I, and probably others have posted, I feel the only way to get enough water flow is with an outboard, so six months back I bought this 55lb 'cheapo' 10 speed Electric outboard on fleabay for about A$130 . I'm using the 'divided tank' idea posted by (?? ??? sorry mate) last year in another thread here.

Inside dimensions of tank are  6' x 3' x 3', the side viewing window apx 48" x 20"--finally sourced some free laminated glass for it a few weeks back, tried to cut it but break went everywhere, probably caused by old glass and very hot day - 39 -40C. Have since found it would not have been thick enough anyway, so I'm now looking for some 8-9mm plate glass - it will hold 600 litres of water (230 gal). Will have a 'speedo' in tank, not sure how much water a 55lb motor will push but confident it will be enough, as a smaller motor (40Lb) will get my 14' 6" boat to about 10Kph (6mph). ----Weight 600 Kg or .6 of a ton, so will have to be pretty permanent, wherever I put it :eek:.

To do  - "Baffles", "Corner Cowling", "Divider" --ah well it's only time, it's  probably taken me 8 months to get this far. :?

Pete

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

Test tank.JPG

post-15507-0-55632400-1391655849_thumb.jpg

Edited by hazmail

Well done Pete, looking very good.

Concider making the center panel adjustable, at least until you test the tank. I feel that varying the parameters may make a difference to the performance and help you get the best result. It will mean more messing about, but you have come this far :)

Dave

Thinking about it I bet a water trough for livestock would work good. Has two straight aways and rounded edges to keep the water momentum moving. I would think if you want to keep it small you would want to use anything that is round so it would not take much to push it and keep it flowing. I would just add two straight boards or clear lexan on the edge to straighten the water flow for your test.

Edited by kelly

Pete I added your little trolling motor in there. Of course like vman said the center divider would be addjustable. It wouldn't take much a couple suction cups or a heavy sand bag on the center side.

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Tank l.pdf

Edited by kelly

I looked at water troughs Kelly, too shallow for my purposes I thought.

Thanks Dave, everything is "fluid" at the moment, the 'pump' will have to move something like .16 m/sec to get 3-4Kph- all good on paper but once you add diffusers and curves this could easily go to .2 m/sec, so as you say, "the alley may need to be squashed / expanded"--should be fun working it out though--still sourcing some glass but got the 'speedo'  running, the first thing I made about 8 months ago 8O.

If it doesn't work it will make a good coffin. :oooh:

Thanks again for your input Kelly.

Pete