lure buddy

Do any of you guys make a BassTrix type bait?

Jonah, that one's rigged on a 3/8 oz so we could get it deeper and run it at a faster than normal speed. I have a new mold coming next week and the smallest weight I will have is 1/8, it will swim just as nice...just have to go slower to get it deeper. No, no painting, just MF dual colour powder between the layers. I might be when our smaller version is done...what's J/K ?

Ok guys; here's a little something that popped imto my head concerning the "clear" dipping.

Some of you are using a can on a hotplate for the clear dip plastic. I have done this and I always have trouble with the top half of the can cooling off and causing the plastic to be too thick. If I turn up the hotplate the plastic in the bottom starts to scorch.

Now, I haven't tried this; but if you had a can that was 1/2" wider than the can with the plastic and you cut the top off flush and you cut a hole in the bottom 1/4" narrower than the diameter of the dipping can. Then you take this can with 2 holes, turn it over so that the wider hole is on the bottom and place this over the dipping can. This will make a 1/4" space all around the dipping can which will trap and hold the heat from the hotplate and funnel it upwards around the outside of the dipping can keeping the top section a little hotter.

What do you think? As I said; I haven't tried this as at present I'm doing other things.

www.novalures.com

I think the heat will be trapped but so will the condensation from the steam coming off the plastic. My shed stays a bit on the cool side so i see it even with my cups now. Maybe not right away but it won't be long and drips will run down the can and off the top.

My sides are the problem for me... or were. I am using some double walled, insulated "cups" on the cup warmes and can dip for a good long time before any re-heats. The best part is the plastic stays non-yellowed for as long as I dip.

I am still working on the same problem as Mike. More than one bait coming out good when multiple dipping. I can get 3-4 now though...

Jim

I have dipped a few now and I am slowly changing the shape of the "mold". I noticed in the video posted by tubeman that when the bait is swimming, the tail gives lift. In the video (which is very good by the way) his bait seems to be swimming with the back of the bait arched up because of the tails lifting action. I also noticed that the original Basstrix bait has a tail section that is curved down towards the belly of the bait, and that the paddle is "drip free". So, my "mold" now has a tail section that arches down towards the belly to offset the lifting action of the paddle, and the paddle is at an angle which slopes towards the head of the bait. I have noticed that by doing this that the plastic that comes off the paddle won't drip onto the bait and that the "drip ball" that used to be in the center of the paddle is now smaller and right on the edge of the paddle and can easily be trimmed off.

Anybody else have the "drip ball" problem on the paddle from the final dip?

Jim, look into a martini shaker. I got mine at Wal-mart. It is aluminum but has a plastic outside, like it is insulated. No problems with it standing up to the heat.

Might be able to give it double duty also!!!!!!! Never tried a martini but might need a few to keep up with the requests!!!!

Thanks Craig!!

Jim

I have dipped a few now and I am slowly changing the shape of the "mold". I noticed in the video posted by tubeman that when the bait is swimming, the tail gives lift. In the video (which is very good by the way) his bait seems to be swimming with the back of the bait arched up because of the tails lifting action. I also noticed that the original Basstrix bait has a tail section that is curved down towards the belly of the bait, and that the paddle is "drip free". So, my "mold" now has a tail section that arches down towards the belly to offset the lifting action of the paddle, and the paddle is at an angle which slopes towards the head of the bait. I have noticed that by doing this that the plastic that comes off the paddle won't drip onto the bait and that the "drip ball" that used to be in the center of the paddle is now smaller and right on the edge of the paddle and can easily be trimmed off.

Anybody else have the "drip ball" problem on the paddle from the final dip?

Interesting comments, I'll have to see what causes that. My bait to tail angle is slightly less than the Basstrix so I would think it would bend less...obiviously not. It might be because the plastic was softer and or my bait profile is more slender. So much experimenting to do yet lol... As for your tail drip ball, yes I have that problem when I remove the dipper too fast, causing excess plastic to remain on the tail cup...the excess plastic picks the route of least resistance and creates a drip ball rather than running down the body.