rickman

My First Attempts With Inline Spinners

These are the first inline spinners I've made. I'm feeling a little more comfortable and things should turn out a little better as I keep going. (Gotta get the dressed hooks and wire out of my head...all of them don't one)

Top left was #1. Sonic spinner blade with pre-tied dressed treble. The one on the right has a black nickel blade and my first attempt at dressing a treble. As you can see I need more work in that department (I'm working on tying dressed hooks too).

Spinners2.jpg

#3 has a #2 fluted Indiana blade. The one on the right pretty standard and another attempt at dressing. This time the end of the wire instead of the treble.

Spinners1.jpg

#5 All brass with a pre-tied trout fly attached with a split-ring. I found a good selection of pre-tied trout flies at Sportsman's Warehouse (very cheap) with hook sizes from #4 down to #12 (the sizes I would use). This would actually be quicker and cheaper than learning and doing them myself. I just don't care for the single hook.

Spinner3.jpg

Tying hackles is just practice. Forget the trebles for now and practice on single hooks or even straight wire. After a couple of hours of this, you will be an expert. Their will be tons of 'how to' articles on the web or get yourself a tying book, to set you in the right direction, if you haven't already. Also I am assuming that you have already bought the correct tools for the job. A proper vice and the little clamps make the job so much easier.

Dave

They look great but a word of advice when tying buck tail you want to use the tapered ends of the hair and try to get these even so you dont have to trim them off also try some squirrel tail they look cool and are the right length of hair for the size of hook your using you can probably get them for free in the back yard if you already own a pellet/BB gun

I bought a fly tying vise (those things are expensive) which I'm glad I did. I don't want to tie flies really, I just want to be able to dress a hook or the wire loop ahead of the hook (like the Rooster Tails) on some. I've already probably bought more stuff than I really need (as I usually do) so I'm going to use it up one way or the other.

A few comments regarding dressed hooks: as has been mentioned, they'll look a lot better if you don't trim the hair ends. All you need is a homemade hair stacker and you can get them nice and even. A short piece of aluminum or copper tubing will work fine. You could also try leaving the ends uneven to give the lure a more streamlined look. Also, make sure you use plenty of cement during construction and for final finishing. "Sally Hansen Hard as Nails With Nylon" nail polish is the best tying cement on the planet, and you can find it anywhere. Dressing hair on trebles is easier if you put the hair on in three small bunches, rather than trying to do it in one big bunch. Be careful with using "backyard" fur and feathers. Critters carry all kinds of bugs, including fleas, lice, and deer ticks. A lot of the advice you hear about freezing, microwaving materials, etc., may not be enough to get rid of everything, including bacteria. Above all, make sure there's a blood bank in your area, because you're going to be puncturing a lot of fingers. :(

Hope this helps. PJ

I bought a fly tying vise (those things are expensive) which I'm glad I did. I don't want to tie flies really, I just want to be able to dress a hook or the wire loop ahead of the hook (like the Rooster Tails) on some. I've already probably bought more stuff than I really need (as I usually do) so I'm going to use it up one way or the other.

When dressing the wire with hackle like on rooster tails, just put the wire in your fly vise, and wrap and whip finish the hackle about one and one half inches above the end of the wire. After this is done, form your eye and attach the treble to the end of the wire. Then slide the hackle down so it butts up against the loop wrap, and glue it in place with head cement. Slide on your body components, bead, blade and clevis and wrap the line eye. Much easier to do than tying hackle on a treble hook or hackling after the treble is in place.

I think your inline spinners look really good. I need to look up a good place to buy bodies for mine. I have a small amount that somebody gave me, but I need to get some more stuff. I have plenty of wire. But I need more beads, and bodies. Anyway, your lures look great. I am a fly tyer, so it won't be hard for me to add hair to the treble, or feathers etc... I did find that when you bend the wire around and cut it off, that it leaves a little sharp spot, that I really don't like. How do you get that off there? I thought of trying to file it down. Flush put nippers are not found locally that I have seen.

Kelly

When dressing the wire with hackle like on rooster tails, just put the wire in your fly vise, and wrap and whip finish the hackle about one and one half inches above the end of the wire. After this is done, form your eye and attach the treble to the end of the wire. Then slide the hackle down so it butts up against the loop wrap, and glue it in place with head cement. Slide on your body components, bead, blade and clevis and wrap the line eye. Much easier to do than tying hackle on a treble hook or hackling after the treble is in place.

Making dressed hooks just needs a little practice. It don't have to be perfect. I just started doing these myself too. These are my first two "naked" ones. Just as long as you get the general concept down it should be fine.

Small%20french.JPG

Large.JPG

Beer980, nice looking lures.

If it's not a secret, where did you get the lure body to make the top one? I'm trying to duplicate an old inline spinner from about 20yrs ago from an old fishing guide who has since passed away. That body is pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Rick

Beer980, nice looking lures.

If it's not a secret, where did you get the lure body to make the top one? I'm trying to duplicate an old inline spinner from about 20yrs ago from an old fishing guide who has since passed away. That body is pretty close to what I'm looking for.

Rick

Never mind, I found them.

Thanks for posting your pics.

I use a pair of hardened "end nippers" and if needed a pair of pliers to flatten it against the wire.

Thanks. All I have are diagonal cut nippers, and I need something more of a flush cut. I tried to flatten the wire also with pliers, but the long nose pliers I have didn't do such a great job at that. I am wondering if needle nosed pliers would be better. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Edited by Kelkay

Hi

Just made up a dozen of Inlines .. have not done it in years so I did not get real consistent with my wire lengths so go easy on that one on me ..

The old Glen Evans "Thunderbird" was a good old Pond bait ... It had a "french" blade ... I have some "french" blades but have had better luck with this bait

using a "Ripple" blade ... The Rubber skirt is a "no brainer" ... Qucik and easy to make. ... Now I gotta go to a pond to try them out .. hard to fish here on theis river whenyou have all the heavy cover.

Kind of a 2 cents worth

JSC

:)

post-16634-027476100 1285355909_thumb.jpg

Rick, did you try your spinners out yet? Give us a report on how they did for you.

I was able to try out my inline's yesterday. Hit one of the mountain rim lakes and tried out all of them (I made several more different styles as well some larger ones for pike). Each and every one of the spinners worked great. Instant spin on the blades, even on the extreme slow retrieves. No jerking to get them started either. One thing I did notice and it's not a bad thing mind you, I was using ultralight gear and it felt like the vibration/drag was heavier than any of the storebought lures I have. I could actually feel the lure during the entire retrieve. I didn't catch a lot of fish (nobody else fishing were either) but I did manage to land two small 6-7 inchers and one decent 12-13 inch rainbow. All on "my" homemade inline spinners. Made my day! I tried several different colors and styles but the bottom black one with a dressed treble and hammered black nickel blade brought them all home yesterday. Thanks for everyone's inputs and help. I'm definitely going to make a good selection of these inlines for future trips. My daughter has a cellphone pic of the catch and as soon as she emails me the pic I'll post it here.

Spinners2.jpg

GLAD to hear all went well with your trials. Sounds great. I have one of the bodies you have mentioned...your body is black, but mine is white. My body was very heavy. It must of been one ounce or so, maybe more. It came in a trial pack I ordered, I think it was from Lure Parts Online.