elijahhenry10

Powder Painting

I was thinking about using powder paint as a base coat on spinner blades/ bodies, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I just want to put on a base coat thy I will be able to airbrush over. I saw someone that would just heat up the item to be painted, and then dip them into the paint. Has anyone done this, and if so how did it work?

Thanks

Yes I have done this many times. I heat up the blade with a heat gun with the finished side up. I will then dust the entire blade until it is all covered up. Heat until you melt the paint, let cool and then rack and put in toaster oven. This works very well when you only want to do one side. This is a slow process.

I'm sure you can spray on the powder as well. Since I don't spray on powder I'll let someone else help you there. If you would like to see some pics, PM me your e-mail address, and I can show you some finished painted blades that I have done.

If you are going to airbrush over you may as well just use a white base coat of the airbrush paint or vinyl. The reason I say this is a lot of us use powder and have been using it a fait amount of time so we have thing that help like fluid beds and stuff. To do a spinnerblade you either have to use a paint brush and then load the paint brush with powder and hold it over the blade and tap the brush and dust the blade with the powder. That is what Cadman does and it takes practice, the other way is to spray the powder with a hobby sandblaster which looks like a cheap airbursh, but you need to make a little spray booth otherwise you will make a mess and it will be a lot more work than you bargined for. As for the lure bodies, they will have to be brushed dusted or sprayed as well unless you get or build a fluid bed because you will need to put a piece of wire through the hole and basically hang the body and you will get about a 1/4" into a jar like that no futher, a fluid bed is added work and added expense. You get some cheap vinyl paint and just brush white on and wait for 30 minutes and the airbrush.

I think I use the wrong words when I said base coat. I want the bottom color to show up, I just want to be able to spray stripes or dots over it. I hope you understand what I mean.

I saw a YouTube video where someone just held a jig head in front of a propane torch, dipped it into the powder, and then let it dry. He said that it was done then. I didn't know if you could do this with spinner blades/bodies too, or if you can't even get the paint to stick on doing only what he did.

On another note, what kind of paint would you recommend for airbrushing?

I think I use the wrong words when I said base coat. I want the bottom color to show up, I just want to be able to spray stripes or dots over it. I hope you understand what I mean.

I saw a YouTube video where someone just held a jig head in front of a propane torch, dipped it into the powder, and then let it dry. He said that it was done then. I didn't know if you could do this with spinner blades/bodies too, or if you can't even get the paint to stick on doing only what he did.

On another note, what kind of paint would you recommend for airbrushing?

I understand what you mean Elijah, the problem is you can't just dip a blade in powder because of the cup, what happens is you push the blade into the powder and pull it out and you end up with a super thick coat of paint as the cupped side will hold it and it happens no matter how you hold the blade, we have all tried that at some time or another and it is why you see people using die cut tape to put over blades or just using vinyl or even buying them already painted. I even tried dipping a blade in my fluid bed and it just goes on too thick but I can spray powder on the blades but for what you want that is going to add more cost so just do your entire bait with airbrush or vinyl. To do that you put your white base coat and then what ever color you want on top plus your airbrush design, but trying to paint blades on both sides withou a spray gun isn't going to happen, you either put out more money or just use regular paint. I tried using my large needle on my old airbrush to spray powder and it didn't work, and what you see the suppliers selling is the same Badger models 260 hobby sandblaster, I believe it is the exact same and could be wrong but it looks identical to what I got. I think you eith buy that, or buy painted blades or use your airbrush, those I believe are your options unless someone has a way of doing two sides of spinnerblades with powder that isn't going to fill the blade with paint. BTW, the video you watched was a jig being dipped into powder, that is how powder works but a jighead is a lot different from a spinnerblade, the part about an extra 15 or 20 minutes at 350 is what is done to cure the powder to make it hard and chip resistant but it doesn't matter on a blade because it is thin the edges don't take really well and it will eventually chip quite easily with or without curing. The video you saw was basic powder painting, try finding one of someone doing a spinnerblade and then follow that.

Edited by smalljaw

Alright, thanks for the help everyone. I will probably just airbrush them, it seems easier than the work with powder painting. It's like someone said earlier, the blades not going to be taking hits on rocks enough to make it worth it. I'm just waiting for Jann's Netcraft to get their new inventory so I can put my order in.