Nascar#48

Salt Not Mixing Right.

Everyone's system is different.  I'm just a hobby pourer, so take what I say with that in mind.

I use a silicone Nor Por cup to microwave my plastic, and a bent metal coat hanger to stir it.  I leave the coat hanger stirrer in my cup, pinch one end with one of those black metal paper clips to form a spout, and stir after I've poured a cavity or four, depending on how big they are and how long it takes to pour one.  I still get salt accumulated in the bottom of the cup, but it's less than if I don't stir.

Maybe whatever you're using to stir isn't thin enough to break up chunks of salt that may occur.  I use heat stabilizer, so I'm not afraid to stir my plastic until it's down to 300 degrees, and then hit it again with the microwave to get it back up to 330 or so to pour.

I want to say the plastic is to hot. It lets the salt settle so fast you can't get to pouring. I thought I read somewhere you were new to this. If you use a recipe with a large salt content it's going to be a hard learning curve. Maybe get comfortable with pouring with less salt and work your way up. Just my thoughts. Oh and it is also much easier to work with large amounts of plastic at first just because the temp fluctuations are way more forgiving than a small amount.

Edited by Frank

I am very new to this and salt is kicking my butt lol. Iv been using a lot of salt. I'll try backing off a little and I'll also try a coat hanger to stir it, iv been using a old butter knife. I have color and glitter combos down I just have to figure out this salt stuff and then I'll be alright. Thank you for the advise.

You folks just don't get it. if you want to keep salt suspended ,you need a heated  pot w/ a stirror. But I could be wrong if you have a mechanical arm w/ a well designed coat hanger :nono::eek:  The old business rule applies to hobbies- if you want to save money ,you have to spend it 1st.

Funny that it seemed to work just fine last night. I have the same injector setup you have, and run it damn near daily, but if i have an order for 25 Sticks in a colour i don't keep an inventory of i sure as hell am not firing up a pair of presto pots for that. Why would you sit here and chastise someone fairly new to the hobby for not spending nearly $300 per pot/mixer when it plain and simply isn't needed. It it fairly easy to keep salt suspended in plastic with nothing more than a stirring utensil and an injector.

• Like 2

Funny that it seemed to work just fine last night. I have the same injector setup you have, and run it damn near daily, but if i have an order for 25 Sticks in a colour i don't keep an inventory of i sure as hell am not firing up a pair of presto pots for that. Why would you sit here and chastise someone fairly new to the hobby for not spending nearly $300 per pot/mixer when it plain and simply isn't needed. It it fairly easy to keep salt suspended in plastic with nothing more than a stirring utensil and an injector.

It's so easy even a cave man can do it.

I did not say he has to fire up two presto pots. One pot w/ a stirrer and a medium injector will get him started in the right direction w/out wasting money. There's is usually a pot w/ stirrer for sale on Bear's forum pages- @ discount,slightly used condition w/ a fair price.

BTW- you think you have the same injector set-up I have.LOL! Just becuase I have a Shooting Star system don't assume it's the same as yours. FYI- I also have a single presto pot w/ stirrer and a medium and large single injector for single color work so I don't have to fire up the two pots and dual injector.

In the future don't put words into my mouth-thankyou. :halo:

It's so easy even a cave man can do it.

I did not say he has to fire up two presto pots. One pot w/ a stirrer and a medium injector will get him started in the right direction w/out wasting money. There's is usually a pot w/ stirrer for sale on Bear's forum pages- @ discount,slightly used condition w/ a fair price.

BTW- you think you have the same injector set-up I have.LOL! Just becuase I have a Shooting Star system don't assume it's the same as yours. FYI- I also have a single presto pot w/ stirrer and a medium and large single injector for single color work so I don't have to fire up the two pots and dual injector.

In the future don't put words into my mouth-thankyou. :halo:

"You folks just don't get it. if you want to keep salt suspended ,you need a heated  pot w/ a stirror"

you said the words your self.

I wouldn't assume I am running an off the shelf injection setup either  :wink: (wouldn't hold up to continuous daily production  :wink: )

there are ways to use a lot of salt in your plastic and NOT use a pot, to sit here and tell anyone that they NEED to invest in a pot and stirring unit in order to make baits with a lot of salt in them is insane. 

To the Original poster, please keep at it. Add your salt after your plastic has been heated, add it slow while stirring. you will have to periodically stir, usually before filling the injector, keep at it and you should get the hang of it. 

• Like 1

You are doing just fine. Like mentioned before keep at it and you will get it. Don't need to spend a lot of money when just starting out. I still don't have a pot with a stirrer and I shoot more baits by hand than 99% of the guys on here. Made plenty of videos on you tube showing how I do it just to prove it can be done without a bunch of equipment. Salt i do try and avoid but i can do it. If it still clumping keep stirring till its gone. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you have the right stuff Nascar.

As said already add the salt to your cooked plastic slowly and stir. I like a butter knife best as I can stir the salt from the bottom better.

IME only need for pots is large batches when selling baits. Microwave and hand stirring works fine for one cup or less.

GL