fishon-son

New Painting With Markers?

Hey fishon, I have the copic system and have used it quite a bit. Rayburn's link to a previous thread on this is well worth reading and heeding. This Copic system is ok, but has some serious limitations. Bleeding and running of colors is a problem for masking and clearcoat work. The ink will bleed under any masking that I've used, and masking over the dried ink did not work for me at all. Glues often cause bleeding too...much more so than with acrylic paints. Fine detail work is tough too. There is also a tendency for some of the colors to fade or change considerably [even out of the sun] in a matter of months. For these reasons, I use a standard airbrush almost exclusively. I sell alot of my work, and the above problems gave me the creeps. Have alot more confidence in airbrush paint. Cheers, Ed

You can use solvent based sharpies for accents and for painting on eyes and fins, if you heat set them first, and then shoot a coat of Createx Gloss Clear over them, before you put on your clear coat.

Red and chartreuse are the worst offenders for bleeding.

I sometimes don't put the Createx on, when I'm using red to mark the gills, and the color runs slightly when I dip and hang the baits, giving a bleeding effect.

But I've never been able to control chartreuse enough to get it to do any special effects like that.

Edited by mark poulson