Mr.t

Vaccum/heat Stencil Wrinkles

Every time i make a stencil it wrinkles,mostly around the bill back toward the gill plate.I tried cutting slits around the edges of the plastic,and I've tried getting the plastic hot before turning on the vac,and I've tried it with vac on before heating,tips appreciated!

Just part of the process of trying to wrap a 3D structure with a "2D" material. If it always conformed in the same manner you could make relief but that isn't the case.  As mentioned above thickness of material is important, thinner the better as essentially as it conforms and bends you end up with "excess" material the thinner the material the less excess you will have to deal with.  Ideally you want to stretch the material over the contours and reduce issues.   Also some materials better suited for stencil making than others.

Lot of interesting reading on this subject if you enjoy looking into computational geometry.. 

• Like 1

I think you understand the problem that you are having well enough, it is, of course, the corner of the square bill.

The solution that you have in mind, cutting back the bill, is also good and should solve the problem.

It would be nice to have a stencil that completely covered the bill, but it is not essential to the function of the stencil. I see no problem in having a cutout slot in the bill portion of the stencil. You will probably have tape on the lip anyway.

Wrinkles are acceptable on a stencil UNLESS they interfere with the function of the stencil. Wrinkles can actually be an advantage, providing structural support to the shape. The stencil is purely a functioning tool, any attempt to remove wrinkles because they don't look good or make the stencil look unprofessional, is futile.

Dave

I built a frame to hold the plastic sheet securely on all four sides. This was then placed in the oven until the plastic started to sag. When the plastic got hot enough that it started to sag it was then placed on the vacuum former and the vacuum switched on. A heat gun was kept handy in case there were any tight spots the sheet didn't want to conform to. These areas were heated with the heat gun and pressure would be applied with a smooth bladed butter knife. I never had any problems with wrinkling when doing it this way and I even used some material that was 30 thousandths thick.

Ben

• Like 4