jigginpig

Tinting Future Shine "wax"

Anybody tinting the Pledge future shine? I can never get enough depth of color using just the water based airbrush colors. I started adding color to the Pledge itself, and the subtle effect I was after became easier to achieve. 

I was looking at alewives, and took a lot of close-ups of freshly caught specimens that showed a full spectrum of color, from magenta through lavender and into blues, indigos, greens and a highly reactive chartreuse. All of this was sprinkled very lightly over a shiny chrome that seemed to have white and tan/brown/olive under it. Extremely subtle, all of it, but far from the standard chrome/blueback type thing you see, and much more subtle than the Lucky Craft "American Shad" color which is the best factory paint match I have seen. Trying to get all that color on the lure always turned it either opaque (making the foil hard to see) or muddy. 

Looking for advice in the area of which tints play nice and have a good range of colors to play with. The Pledge is marketed as a "wax" but is a water soluble acrylic, so I anticipate any food coloring would work well. 

Cheers all. 

SS

• Like 2

Multiple hues of water clear, almost subliminal color is what I am after. I have tried all the usual suspects for airbrush paint. 

I am wanting to apply a tiny amount of a lot of different colors, without substantially changing the reflectivity of the foil, and without turning into brown. The colors must be exceptionally vivid and yet translucent for it to work. I have done it before, I know it works, was just wondering if anyone else would be willing to talk about it. 

Look howmany different colors are on this alewife:

DSCN2104.jpg

...What about candies or even dyes?...

Yeah, dyes are pretty much what I was curious about. 

I am going to play with some stuff along with those lines. I was given a dirt cheap airbrush set that came with a bunch of eye-dropper dyes for use with an extender. That system worked better by far with the foil than other paints I have used. I wound up just tinting the Pledge and shooting that, and it was killer. 

SS

• Like 1

I look forward to trying this. My biggest concern with pledge is adhesion. I have has great results with transparent base, createx, and reducer sprayed at a low pressure through a fine tip. I think most people spray too much paint (a habit I am still fighting), forgetting that the clear-coat is going to magnify those colors. I like my pearl and iridescent paints too much to give them up for dyes.

• Like 1

Agreed! Not going to give them up either. Actually, I have a bunch of powdered pearls of various hues that I plan on juicing the pledge a tiny bit with, in addition to using them over a white pearl base. Not doing that with my current project, which is a foiled jerkbait, but for flat-side cranks and the like it would be easy to use a strong pearl or interference basecoat and do the dyes over for subliminal effects. 

I want the bait to "glow" underwater, like a little nearly invisible effect. Pearls are great light diffusers, but not great tinters or modifiers of hue. 

A little theory of mine is that the reason chartreuse is such a universal color is that it IS a great modifier of hue, and helps prop up that halo effect, making a bait stand out against any background. 

Anyway, yeah. I love my pearl hues. Pouring plastics helped me get a good feel for how far they can be extended, which is a l-o-n-g way. 

Can you tell I feel strongly that most baits are far to garish?  :lolhuh:

SS

I have got frustrated trying to get a similar colors/shades in gizzard shad baits. I set back and took a look at a good pic of a shad.

The main color/shade is silver, this of course can be done with foil. I dulled the foil by dusting a thinned down white. Then I put on scale material. Tune down the transparent gold with copper. Do the areas that requires this (rear of the bait), bleed over to the blues using candy. I very lightly give a shot of candy red on the edges of the blue just because I ended up liking it. The problem with this is the scales don't stand out, but that ended up ok to me. I just never fiqured out how to get dark shades in the outlines of the scales but leaving the silver look. The other dark colors helps tho.

To be honest I will work on this again soon. It's close but just not where I want it.

Dale

Edited by DaleSW

Honestly sounds like we are doing the same thing. I'm doing a shiner right now, but I would love to do an alewife. The alewife are far, far more colorful. A threadfin shad too... those are really pretty. Emerald and spottail shiners are gorgeous too, and have a mostly green palate. 

Post up pix as you make progress, I will too. I need to make a spray booth for the apartment, but plan on doing that soon. 

SS

I second the UV. Just add a few drops to your pledge, along with maybe some pearl powder and it will bring the paint job out. For example, when I add the uv to a yellow and black bait, the yellow almost looks chartreuse and the black almost gets a blueish tint to it. I usually spray light pearl before the main colors though and that helps too.

Also where does everyone get the pledge from? I couldn't even order it so I settled for some thin clear from HD.

Try the UV. It brings out almost any paint job.

• Like 1

Hey Jg I don't know what brand of paint you useing I was thinking of the same adding pledge and a good friend of mine who is an airbrush artist he does motorcycle tanks and graphics on cars told me absolutely not to use it it contains wax and over a period of time will destroy your paint job and it may have a bad reaction with your clear he did however tell me to use isopropyl fifty percent water the rest alcohol for reducing just my two cents on what I have been taught

Well, far be it for me to disagree with a professional, which I most assuredly am not. But I do not think there is any wax in the stuff. It is acrylic. At any rate, cars have a tougher life, due to continuous strong sunlight exposure. UV tends to break down things quickly. 

I have used the stuff already with the Createx and Auto Air airbrush paints, and a water based dye that came with an Aztek airbrush kit I was given. Horrid little kit, actually. I have also used pearl powders in it with good results. 

You heat-set it and topcoat like normal. Nothing new about the stuff for lure painting, I can tell you with great confidence. It has been used by many people for several years. The only thing I was wondering about is how many other folks were using it as a transparent base/extender, and which dyes or pigments they were using. That is really my question, not weather the stuff is suitable to spray as part of a finish on a bait. I already know it works great to "seal" colors between color changes, for example, and to give paint jobs a lustrous appearance. 

Another thing I use it for is to hide sanding marks on a clear plastic bait before I shoot any color, so I can spend a little less time on prep. It makes the bait look very clear and nice to receive the first coat of paint. 

Obviously, you still have to topcoat. 

My next test batch of baits will use the Art Resin as a topcoat, and I am looking forward to trying it out. 

SS

Edited by jigginpig
  • Like 1

Man every time I went to Walmart I saw one of those bottles but not the other . Haha. Maybe it'll go looking again. Thanks! I have quite a bit of dye from smooth on and Alumilite. Both are good quality dyes. They won't separate or screw up in a pressure chamber, or with heat, if that helps. They have lots of colors and those little bottles go a Long way. I bet you could do with less than a drop for tinting.

• Like 1