Gr8flyz

Ebay, It is worth using?

In my experience ....

I list lots of my lures starting at 4.99 and up . Summer is not the best time for selling as all the fisherman are out on the water . I have found the big name brand lures do well in the summer but not the "handmade" lures like we all make . Now dont get me wrong I have had sperts here and there where I would sell a bunch in a week and then nothing for a few . If you watch my auctions I will do a test now and again seeing how the market is doing , this I do by starting a few of my smaller lures at .99 cents to start . If they only get .99 or a bit more I wont list as many cause no one is fighting for them !!

Come fall and winter time ...

Here is where it picks up . I do fairly well during this time of year . I make a bunch of , umm "odd" lure fish things , they sell well this time of year . I have found lures and such do alot better when you make a box of some sort for them . I make wood boxes for my lures that sell for 15-20 dollars and up , for the ones I get 25+ for I usally throw in an acrylic stand and a box .

The Big Picture of Ebay ....

What is the hardest thing about selling your lures ? Exposure !!! I list lots of fishing lures and fishing related items . If not selling I still list some just to keep on the pages for all to see . I get lots of deals made from ebay on the side , custom orders and alot of repainting lures . Overall people shop on ebay to get a deal on something or just looking for something new .

That was alot for me to type , I need a nap . Hope it helped . :lol:

funny farm, I appreciate the insight. I've bought some things recently, and got some good deals. So I've made a small test of my own, just to see what's happening and placed a few items for sale.

I understand very well what you mean about the time of year, I've always done well in late winter & early spring, while everyone is sitting out the cabin fever, getting their gear ready for the coming season & dreaming about all the fish their going to catch. Sometimes in the fall, I'll get busy, but only if folks are traveling & most of what I get then is flies for bonefish, tarpon & seatrout or redfish. The guys in my area, at least some, are still fishing but many are gearing up for hunting seasons, so they don't buy much tackle. Those that are still fishing bought what they needed back in the winter or early spring, or pick up additional items from the local shops, which is mostly terminal tackle.

A few years ago I did a small local show with a Trout Unlimited chapter, and no one showed up. The show was in late April or May, I can't remember exactly, but it was a beautiful, warm, sunny spring day & I guess everyone went fishing instead. All the vendors just stood around & talked to each other. What a wasted day that was! Now I'm real particular about what time of year the shows I do are scheduled.

Timing is sometimes everything!

Thanks again!

I have been selling on ebay for 5 years now. I've never really made much money on the site. In fact, I probably have more money into it than not. Pretty scary when I actually think about it. :lol: But it IS a great way to get your name out there and establish customers. Guys often win one of my auctions; then buy something directly off my website. It works out okay I guess.

Frankly, I'm really tired of the "ebay thing", but every time I think of ending sales on the site something happens that changes my mind. It's hit and miss, but overall I'd recommend ebay, especially if you look at it from an advertising standpoint.

Chris

I'm with you Chris it's hit or miss. I do good one week and sales drop for three weeks in a row then something hits good again. I get custom orders from guys who have purchased my stuff on ebay before and have a few repeat customers. It's not very reliable in a sense that you can't say well I'm definitely gonna make X amount of dollars this week, because I made X amount of dollars last week on the same products. The hand poured worm stuff is getting more competitive with new guys showing up with the same products all the time. So you have to find that nitch that makes your products stand out or offer new colors all the time. I came out with the clear multi flake senko a good while back and now everyone is selling it, which has caused me not to even offer it anymore on ebay cause mine just aren't selling like they use to. So you just have to roll with the punches and make the best of the situation and keep working to find that edge.

Nathan

One thing I forgot to mention.......

The Ebay store is nice once you've established yourself on the site. I think it runs 10 bucks per month, unless they've raised it (seems like Ebay raises their prices every friggin' week!). Remember when Paypal was free??? Wasn't THAT great!! Now paypal makes a killing, just like Ebay.

Ooops.....got off course there for just a sec........ :lol: ....

the Ebay store is cool because you can set your own prices, which is another great way to advertise. You make one sell and you get your monthly fee back, and you're only out a nickel for a listing fee if your item doesn't sell.

Chris

Thanks for the replys! I'll see how my auctions go & see what happens.

As far as Ebay or paypal making money, that's why their there. Tackle makers are the only one's who are in business because we like it!

I wish I had thought of something like Ebay or Paypal.

I've been using Paypal for awhile to accept credit card payments, and after looking at the cost of a regular merchant account, Paypal is not a bad deal. Unfortunately you don't get something for nothing. I think Paypal is a worthwhile service for small operators like most of us, as long as you watch it close, and see what it's actually costing you. It has helped me increase my sales.

Ebay is something I've just recently started to look into, so I appreciate the responses.

Hi Fella's;

Great News! I said it here first and it's in the process to happen early to late fall this year. X. A friend of mine is going to open an Outdoor Home shopping Network Store of sorts. Not the exact name. My friend said not to disclose the works but, it's geared for people like some of us who have great products, limited budgets and not the horsepower to get them to the streets. The small businesses. Most of the marketing since most will be small businesses will be geared toward establishing inventory stocked and in place prior to the show, commissions will be paid upon sales made during, after and any residuals anytime to the owner of the Show. Keeping again, affordable for the little guy to launch there products.

There won't be Stren, Berkley, Mercury and Bass Pro Sponsors to lead off each shows and neither will there be Roland, Jimmy, Dance and other Pro's that dance the big bucks to get on. The host of the show is someone most of us will recognize and is in place. The qualifier for our products to be aired will be based on the owners team of field testing outdoor products and Fishing is the leader of the pack not exclude Mountain climbing and camping products as time goes along. This will not be a Bubba style program that keeps catching fish and hyped up like many we know of in the past. It's going to be in a casual setting, seminar style and call in guest that are consumers that have used them. Some of the guest on the shows are non disclosed for now and will do great new product introductions like some of the members products here on TU.

There are many other venues to talk about with this as time goes along and it's pretty exciting how this new program will promote the newbie products.

Ebay, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Maurices Dist move aside and let the Little Guy Hit some HOMERUNS!

I'll keep you posted!

Screeeeeeeemin' Reel's :lol:

Mike