Jaxon2

Fluorescent airbrush colors & holographic tape

New to airbrush painting and have a couple of questions. 

1. Painting some walleye lures and the fluorescent colors seem way thinner than the other createx colors I'm using and im having trouble getting even coverage (Especially Chartreuse). Do I need to add 4050 or 4030? Or do multiple coats? 

2. Can a person paint over silver holographic tape or prism tape with transparent airbrush paint to get a different color effect? I've seen it on other lures just not sure how it's accomplished. 

Appreciate any feedback.

The fluorescent colors I have are from Golden and I think Spectra are thinner than Createx. As far as coverage, make sure you are mixing the fluorescent colors really good before use. Chartreuse and pink are infamous for pigment settling/hard packing. Once throughly mixed build up the color with layers. Spay, heat set, spray again until you get what you’re after. 
As for painting over holo tape, yes you can. Just go lightly over it. Test out a few blanks with varying amounts of paint and clear coat. This way you can get a feel for how much paint you need. I would also suggest consider spraying alcohol ink over the tape. Very little is needed and it gives the bait a nice look. See attached photo. 

IMG_2091.jpeg

• Like 2

If you're looking for really bright florescent coverage, a white undercoat or primer will help greatly, especially with chartreuse.  Light coats and heat set in between as mentioned above.

I reduce the paints quite a bit for spraying over foil, so I don't kill the shine. Little at a time and heat set. It's easy with reduced paints or transparents to spray it too heavy because you can't see the pigment as well.

• Like 2