Nathan

Looking for info on a old top water bait

Hey guy’s,

years ago I came across a older bait( not too old it was made of clear plastic). If memory serves me right it was shaped like a Heddon Torpedo..( it may have been a Heddon bait) Anyway, it had a small spring on the inside attached to the head area and ran horizontally through the bait and stopped just short of the tail . At the end of the spring near the tail was a small piece of lead. When you moved the bait the lead caused the spring to bounce giving the bait a quivering action when the retrieve was stopped.

Anyone remember anything about this bait?

thanks..Nathan

I had one of those years ago I was recently thinking about too and I tried to find info online but came up with a zero  . 

It seems to me the bait was called a "Whopper Stopper " (or maybe that was the company name but I think "whopper" was involved ? )  It had a clear plastic body with a popper or chugger face and an internal spring wire with a small lead weight on the end that would continue to oscillate after the lure was twitched creating little ripples around the lure .

Edited by jigmeister

OK Nathan I knew I wasn't crazy I looked around some more  found some for sale on Ebay.  It is a popper type bait that came in several colors called a "Vibrating Throbber" and was made by whopper stopper lure co.  I had a clear one years ago and the internal spring wire and weight were clearly visible inside .

5 hours ago, jigmeister said:

That ACME Pulse cod looks to be a much higher quality bait than the old Whopper Stopper "throbber " but there is 30 years between them though . 

I see what you mean....

へドン スローバー C クリアー heddon THROBBER ホッパーストッパー WHOPPER STOPPER BOX保管の未使用品

he Don s Rover XRY heddon THROBBER hopper stopper WHOPPER STOPPER BOX storage. unused goods

I located and purchased one of the old throbbers from eBay. Perhaps the newer Acme Pulse works better. The original is to heavy and the weight of the plastic bait kills any vibration from the spring..Nathan

• Like 1

I was disappointed with the short duration of the vibrations with the one I had years ago. Probably a bad idea but I was just thinking some mercury sloshing back and forth in a small glass vial in a well balanced lure might give longer lasting movements and a little flash too   ?

• Like 1