rugbyfisherman

Matte Topcoat Options

7 posts in this topic

I have only used 2 part urethane clear coat on hardbaits but I am seeing some new hardbaits out in a matte bone finish. I would really like to try but I am wondering what is used? Thanks for any tips

Don't know about a matte top coat, but a trick that some of the pro's use is to take some fine sandpaper and lightly scuff a gloss coat with it. I'd think something in the 600 or 800 grit should work.

You can also use the green Scotchbrand scouring pads. They are like a stiff plastic steel wool, only softer.

i have a can of clear auto spray paint that says gloss, but its matte. one option you could do it to top coat with what ever you normally do...epoxy, auto clear, whtever. then go to a place like michaels, a.c.more they have a spraypaint section. pick you up a can of matte clear. if the bait is already top coated it cshould take much to to cover it in matte

Something I've been playing around with is Clear plastic dip in the spray on cans.It gives you a matte finish and a very strong rubbery feeling durable top coat....Nathan

Nathan, I think you're probably on the right track. The matte LC baits I have are covered in some kind of soft vinyl coating. Looks nice, don't know whether the fish care one bit (suspect they don't though). I haven't heard any pros extolling the virtues of matte finishes as far as fish attraction. The matte finish on my LC baits has proved not to be very durable and peeled off several of the jerkbaits even though they were rarely fished.

Question for those who go to the trouble of sanding lures to matte finish: If you wet a sanded epoxy surface, the scratches are filled in and it becomes clear again - so what's the advantage? I just don't see it.

We used to take the shine off of marble with Lime-Away. You just have to rinse the lure (or tile) really well afterwards or else the Lime-Away will continue to eat away.