Ogajiga

Mustad 32786 Bln 2/0 & 3/0 Blue Boxes?

Hawn,

I have noticed the same thing on several of their hook style #'s. I too am in the same dilemma. This is not a good thing, since their std hook series used to be super sharp. If I am correct I believe they moved their manufacturing to China, I could be wrong.

On another note, I believe I have some good news. I have heard this from Shorty's and several other companines. Eagle Claw is re-tooling their hooks to go to laser point series. I have used their hooks in the past and have never had a problem with them. However many guys just do not like Eagle Claw. If what I heard is true, I do believe many guys will like the new and improved Eagle Claw hooks. I have used their laser point series and they are sharp right out of the box. Also If I heard correctly their whole hook line will go that route. If this is correct, I do believe we all will be happy. Only thing I don't know is what that will do to the cost of each hook. So in the meantime if I find anyone who still has hooks in the blue box, I'll let you know.

I really liked the Mustad hooks because they were always sharp and had good quality for the price and they held their point better than gamakatsu hooks. If the new hooks are all dull and it isn't just a bad lot I guess I'll have to switch, I really like the Owner hooks but they are too costly to use on a consistant basis but I must agree with Cadman, Eagle Claw hooks aren't bad and the Lazer sharp models are really good but they get a bad rap because they're cheap, I made some jigs for a friend who swears by Gamakatsu and hates eagle claw hooks, well his jigs were done using the eagle claw EL 111BP, it is a 60 degree EWG hook with the black pearl finish and he told me he hasn't lost a fish on the jig yet but he called me a liar when I told him he was using an eagle claw hook until I showed him the box of hooks. I contacted Eagle claw a few months back to get that style hook in a 4/0 since it seems everyone is out of that size and I was told that the hooks should be available by september because production was held up as all of their hook series are being updated to laser sharps. I was also told the price increase will be very small, maybe around a dollar extra per 100.

Has anyone tried the 730BP which is the closest 32786 equivelent? I've never liked the standard 730 with the annoying outbent point but the 730BP might have been retooled with a more straight inline point angle?

I've had so many soft wire - bad point issues with Eagle Claw I quit using them years ago but would really prefer to BUY AMERICAN if they can offer a quality product. Mustad's sorry decision to compromise their quality with crappy Chinese mfg. is a perfect opportunity for EC to step up.

On another note, I believe I have some good news. I have heard this from Shorty's and several other companines. Eagle Claw is re-tooling their hooks to go to laser point series. I have used their hooks in the past and have never had a problem with them. However many guys just do not like Eagle Claw. If what I heard is true, I do believe many guys will like the new and improved Eagle Claw hooks. I have used their laser point series and they are sharp right out of the box. Also If I heard correctly their whole hook line will go that route. If this is correct, I do believe we all will be happy. Only thing I don't know is what that will do to the cost of each hook. So in the meantime if I find anyone who still has hooks in the blue box, I'll let you know.

I hope they bring back the laser point series (or was it laser sharp series?) for the light wire 90 degree bend jig hooks, in black nickel. I still use those exclusively for all my tube head and light football head jigs, even though they have not been available in 5+ years. I bought several thousand on clearance way back when from Jann's. I am down to my last 800 or so.

Edited by wnybassman

To all of you that replied. I too was very happy with the quality of the Mustad hooks. Yet I think the new ones aren't as sharp. It will be a very sad situation if the Mustads start coming in like that all the time. I too will have to decide as to what I'm going to do. Mustads have been a very good seller for me from day one, because of pricing. Like you mentioned Smalljaw, I have maybe one or two cutomers that want Owners and will pay for them, but the majority of the guys don't want to pay the cost. My biggest challenge will be to try to explain to my customers and try to convert them to Eagle Claws. I, like you, love the lazer series and they are just plain sharp, no ands, ifs or buts about it. But many guys have had such bad experience from Eagle Claw in the past, that this will not be an easy task. I also believe I heard that they are going to be the black pearl finish. That would be the best of both worlds, because bronze hooks are just notorious for rusting if you do not let the hooks dry thoroughly. So as time goes on we all shall see. If anyone gets anymore info on this subject down the road please post as I am watching this very carefully as it affects all of us. If Mustad falters, Eagle Claw, if they play their cards right will have the upper hand and may be the new guy with the sharpest hooks for Do-It molds.

Edited by cadman

I two would love to see the eagle claw hooks sharper and in black pearl finish. Ted I think if you did switch over it would be as easy as sending one extra hook with each order. If you can see it in hand there is no wondering. But they might not believe you that it is an eagle claw. Just tell them thats the hook there going to get eagle claw or not.

I like the Lazer Sharp worm hooks - I recommend them and some people just won't try them - strangely enough, some of the same people who wouldn't be caught dead driving a foreign made car won't use anything but Gamakatsu.

Anyway, if they step up and make Lazer Sharp's the standard across the line - well, that would be great. Good for them.

Hey gang,

I had posted on another board with Hawn about about the Mustad Hooks, but I must of missed part of it. Hawn are you talking the Blue/white box??? I bought 8 thousand mustads from Capt Hooks and they're made in China but it must have been before they changed their production standards/facility. They're in a Blue/white box and no problems. WHEW!!!!!!!!!! I still have a bunch of the Mustad jig hooks in the old white 1000 count box/s from the late 80's early 90's which I believe say Auburn, NY!!!!! On a recent buy from ebay got 250 size 10 trebles and the box also says Auburn NY.

On the Eagle Claws, I have never noticed a problem, but I don't make the big bass jigs like you guys do. Mine only go up to a 1/4 oz. ball head. I have a bunch of old stock Eagle Claws too.

One of my nephews friends was over with him the other night and he saw all the box's of EC 45 Automatic worm hooks, I thought he was gonna have heart failure. He whipped out a $50 bill and said one box of 3/0's, since I had 4 box's the cash went toward another Doctor's bill!!!

Cad, I'm with you on the EC's though I want to see what the cost of them is gonna be when they go to Lazer Sharp. I'll buy a couple hundred to see if theyre any good but I gotta see price first. Funny how the wife thinks 15,000 jig hooks is enough???? LOL.

Edited by Fatman