mark poulson

Powder Coating With A Propane Torch

I heat my jigs for powder coating with a propane torch.

Yesterday, I had several hooks open up, including one that cost us our limit fish.

Is the propane torch taking the temper out of the hooks? I hold the jigs by the line tie with a pair of needle nose pliers when I heat them, to keep the powder out of the eye, and only pass the head through the flame. The bend of the hook is never in the flame.

Then I hang them in a toaster oven at 350 for twenty minutes.

Am I doing something wrong, or were the hooks just lousy to begin with?

Mark, I too use a propane torch to powder paint and what you are doing is fine and not causing the problem that you experience. I use the torch because I'm used to it and I know when I have just enough heat, I very seldom over heat to the point that the powder smokes and gets stringy. What size hooks are you talking about? I ask because on small hooks that might cause a problem but if that were the case I think the hot lead would do more harm than the torch but you never know. Anyway, I doubt it was you, I had a similar problem when I bought a cheap pack of jigheads a long time ago, even after landing a small bass you had to take a pliers and bend it back as it was slightly open. What I think happened to you is you may have got a batch of hooks that have less temper, it can happen as they temper thousands at at time so th think that all are the same or perfect is just unreal, the truth is some just aren't very good.

you shouldn't have been the cause......the lead was hotter than what you are getting it when you cast the jig head to begin with. If it would've taken the temper out it would have been then. You shouldn't be getting it hot enough to take out the temper just to powder coat.

I'm guessing you have a soft hook to begin with......

IMHO you could avoid that problem if you will keep the hook by massive pliers and not release the hook immediately after painting - jig could save high temperature for some time and overheat the hook.

Pliers will sack out excessive heat. Try not warm up them by torch for long time.

Hope it help.

Edited by ING

I think you guys hit it on the head. Bad batch of hooks.

I didn't pour those jigs, so I don't know what kind of hook was used.

Those jigs were so old I don't even remember where I got them, or what brand they were. I think they might have been some an old partner poured for me, and, if that's so, they're at least 10 years old.

I just needed some 1/4oz footballs, so I pulled them out of storage, powder coated them, and added some skirts without giving a second thought to whether or not the hooks were good.

Up to now, I've been spoiled, having some left over Lure Logic 1/4oz footballs left from when Bass World West went out of business, and the owner sold off his stock, and I got a great deal for a lot of them. Those jigs had great hooks, and a double collar, so they held everything, from skirts to trailers to fish. They're still sold by Proline, but they're really pricey.

But I finally used those up, and pulled these 1/4oz footballs off the shelf. Big mistake.

Today's hooks are so much better, like everything else we fish with.

Thanks for all the thought that went into solving this mystery for me.

I'm getting some jigs from Hagens with Mustad 32756 hooks for the next batch of 1/4oz jigs I coat and fish.

Jig Man,

I think you're right.

I have my Hagen's jig heads coming today, and I know Mustad hooks are good.

I'm going to paint up a couple dozen 1/4oz heads, since I am down to my last one, after feeding the lake last Sunday. Hahaha

I really don't like using the torch. As I've gotten older, I am much more aware of how clumsey I am, and can just see myself tipping it over, or passing my arm over it. Neither scenario appeals to me.

One of my buddies does his powder coating in his kitchen, using the burners on his stove, but that's not for me.

I'm going to buy a heat gun today. Lots of my friends use them, and say they are the way to go.

Edited by mark poulson