joelhains

Floating Or Suspending Jighead

I  have been messing around with the idea of making floating jig heads. This has probably been discussed, but tonight I tried using hot glue in my jig head mold I have only tried 1/8 and 1/4 ounce molds so far. I think it would float with a 1/2 or larger sized head.. They still sink but at a much slower rate. With the right plastic body this could make for a suspending bait. It could also be good for Carolina rigging tubes... who knows how it works out. Just though I would share .

0802132219_zps9c6440b7.jpg

Joel,

Some things to think about. I tried something similar to Great Stuff on one of my molds many years ago, and I couldn't get that stuff out of my mold. Once it sticks and dries it is almost impossible to get out.  I have also currently used Great Stuff to seal up air leaks, and again once it dries it doesn't seem to want to come off. A real P.I.T.A . especially if you had to clean a mold to get it off. However if you try it let us know how it goes.

Now on the hot glue. At one time I tried hot glue to hold in my weedguards. Once the glue cooled, I waited a day and dropped my jig in a cup of water for a couple of weeks. At one point the hot glue did not hold the weedguard in place. So I guess it is not waterproof. Anyway I thought I would toss this out there as you plan on making jigs with hot glue. Maybe there is a different type of hot glue you can use.

Edited by cadman

I tried the great stuff today... It didn't work! LOL! I don't know but maybe I should have shaken the can longer or something  but for some reason it didn't fill the cavities in the mold. I got it out fairly easily. I figured it would be difficult to remove so I put a light coating of vegetable oil on the mold first.

I left some of the hot glue in a cup of water overnight and it was still floating 24 hours later. I would guess that the glue I am using is water proof. It might not adhere well to plastic though which could be the reason your weed guards didn't stay in place?? I don't have a mold that does round head jig any larger than 1/4 ounce right yet. I think a 1/2or 3/4 ounce glue jig would float nicely.

I tried the great stuff today... It didn't work! LOL! I don't know but maybe I should have shaken the can longer or something but for some reason it didn't fill the cavities in the mold. I got it out fairly easily. I figured it would be difficult to remove so I put a light coating of vegetable oil on the mold first.

I left some of the hot glue in a cup of water overnight and it was still floating 24 hours later. I would guess that the glue I am using is water proof. It might not adhere well to plastic though which could be the reason your weed guards didn't stay in place?? I don't have a mold that does round head jig any larger than 1/4 ounce right yet. I think a 1/2or 3/4 ounce glue jig would float nicely.

On your hot glue hooks. How do you get the glue in the mold, as I see you have already done this in the pic above. Do you just squeeze the hot glue in a closed cold Do-It mold and then fill all the way up? If so how long before you can take it out and do you coat the cavities with anything to release the glued hook? I'm curious in your process if you are willing to explain. If it's confidential than that is fine as well. Don't give out any of your trade secrets if you don't want to.

Edited by cadman

On your hot glue hooks. How do you get the glue in the mold, as I see you have already done this in the pic above. Do you just squeeze the hot glue in a closed cold Do-It mold and then fill all the way up? If so how long before you can take it out and do you coat the cavities with anything to release the glued hook? I'm curious in your process if you are willing to explain. If it's confidential than that is fine as well. Don't give out any of your trade secrets if you don't want to.

I 've made some buck tails using it. Works great. Simply clamp a lead mold with a hook in it ......... Use a good hot glue gun and fill as quick as you can. Watch it for a few seconds to see if a depression starts to develop ............ If so then fill immediately ......... I usually wait around 5 minutes to open. I usually use a graphite mold release ....... The kind for lead ........ Some times I need a screwdriver to open if I use all of the cavities. These things really work. I caught a 40 lb catfish just playing around trolling it the 1st 15minutes using it. A buddy videod it and posted it on YouTube under the title Mattawoman monster if it's still there.

Not at all confidential! I just shoot it with my wifes glue gun and it completely fills the cavities as long as you give enough pressure. I used a rubber band around the handle of my Do-it mold just keep pressure until it had set up. I didn't use a mold release, but i want to try vegitable oil next time. The jig heads are a little hard to get out of the mold without any release agent. The first one I tried came out in pieces. The two in the picture I had to gently work them out of the mold. I didnt keep track of how long I waited before removing them from the mold. When the glue is hot it goes clear, as it cools it turns milky again. I just wait for it to change the open the mold. I will also mention that I only triedpouring two of the mold cavities at a time. The mold was difficult enough to open with just two. I think it would be nearly impossible to open with all eight cavities poured at the same time without damaging the mold. This shouldn't be a problem if I can come up with a good release agent though.

Edited by joelhains

I also think a cold mold works best. The first time I tried to shoot in some glue it all balled up at the opening and I though it must have been because it was a cold mold. It turned out it was just because I didn't apply enough pressure to the glue to force it into the mold. I tied heating the mold too. I used a blow torch and heated it just like I would for when I pour lead. That didn't make any difference accept that it took longer for the glue to cool. The ones you see in the picture were shot into a cold mold and removed after turning back to the milky color.

Edited by joelhains