blkcloud

Truthfully...how important is color??

I have bass fished for 40 years..I have always figured if you pulled a worm in front of a bass and he was hungry he would bite it..I actually think all these fancy colors are to catch fishermen not really fish..Back in the 70's Tom Mann and Bill Dance were fishing Tims (no fish) Ford in Tennessee..(one of my home lakes..) Tom was pulling worms out of a paper sack and catching fish like crazy..red, purple,black, green..I think that may have been all the colors there was back then..lol.. Anyway he told Bill, color doesnt make any difference and backed it up by catching bass on every worm he had.. and just laughed everytime he caught one..Years later Roland Martin said... use any color worm you want as long as it is purple... We have used purple Jelly worms for 40 years yet today most pro's wouldnt be caught dead with one..Least that is what I gather from watching the Bass shows on tv.. your thoughts.. thanks!!

I feel the same way for the most part, on occassion some colors may produce more or less. But I think the driving force is it requires the consumate bass fisherman to keep on hand all the various colors offered. Which means more sales. And while your stocking up on the multitude of colored check out the latest worm rod, its a must have. Oh, did I fail to mention we know call rapalals jerkbaits, yep you guessed it, gotta have a rod for that too. That is if you want the edge!

Does that mean I need a KcDano rod and reel to get the "best" action from the bait I got from you at the bait swap at the TU Meet???:D That is a nice bait and it produced 2 bass a while back. I still have two or three that I have yet to get wet; I done want to loose any of them.

Let me know when the new KcDano spinning rod and reel combos come out so I can be one of the first to buy one... See you next year!:tipsy:

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

I am pleased to hear the bait is catching some fish, If you lose it I will send you another. In addition, I will extend to you a warranty that covers incidental loss, don't worry the price is a nominal amount. I have yet to go fishing, but I am going to give the inline bas spinner a work-out. I will keep you abreast of any new emerging Kcdano technology or must have equipment.

Here's the deal that nobody really considers. Back in the 70's, Bass fishing wasn't popular, bass were considered trash fish by many. No pressure=easier to catch. Nowadays, look how the sport has grown. No pressure, many colors work. Extreme pressure, the colors that are thrown least seem "new" or different and may work better. Anglers are more skilled . I always say, color only matters when it matters but unfortunately it matters more often than not.

Color is one of the most important things but ony if your selling baits. People buy baits cause they are cool looking, wether they work or not. I myself even stilll buy baits that are cool looking, multi colors etc. when I am at the local store you can hear people say it all the time. "wow thats a cool color" and they walk out with 5 bags of them. Why do you think robo worm got so popular, they took pourng fancy colors to a new level wiith transparent ones. In all honesty I bet roboworms outsell senkos on the west coast 3-1.

my buddy owns a pretty nice tackle shop and they are always low on robos.

but my three main colors that I use for fishing are white red and pink in both softpalstic and hard baits and blades. ( yeah I have a ton of HOT pink spinner and buzzbaits)

Delw

I too think color matters. I've had some crank baits that were just like my buddies except a variance in the color, and the fish would not touch it and they ate his up. I then barrowed one just like his and a couple of casts later I was catching fish like him. But I don't think color is everything. Some guy's can just flat use a bait more effective than others.

I agree completely...in today's fishing world; whether its bass, muskie or redfish, anglers are becoming specialized beyond anyone's dreams of 30yrs ago. Guys are carrying 12-15 rods at a time while fishing and today's boats accommodate even more if he/she so chooses. The gear is specialized to the point of having rods specifically for jigging, worming, c-rigging, crankbaiting (shallow, mid and deep), spinnerbaiting (light and heavy), flipping, froggin' and rods designed for today's "hot" topics of: drop shotting, shakey heading as well as equipping for various sizes of swimbaits. Moreover, a large percentage of guys aren't settling for the 'off the rack' sticks and are getting custom rods tailored for their exact needs and tastes for each of the aforementioned applications. The standard Daiwa reels aren't enough either; special orders from Daiwa Japan for reels released to their market are highly sought after in the states with astronomical prices to match the desire. Websites have been developed where an angler can sit at home and securely order tackle and gear from around the world. Superstores like Cabellas, Gander Moutain, Bass Pro Shops, Sportsman's Warehouse and many others have more 'stuff' than Bill Dance ever thought imaginable 'back in the day'. Cable and satellite TV bring us countless (but not enough) hours of programming teaching each of us the latest and greatest techniques using the latest and greatest gear. Tournament coverage has infinitely grown to a point of paying out millions of dollars annually across dozens of national and local trails. With all of Roland Martin's wins, can you fathom what his career earnings would be in today's world; KVD wouldn't even be in his shadows?

With all of this being said, 30 years purple 'cut it'. It was all that a bass needed to see and it wasn't seen all that often compared to today. There are thousands of more fishermen and the fishing pressure dictates a wider variety of colors, sizes, types and techniques in order for the average Joe to consistently catch fish. Too many times, somebody in my boat was on 'the' color while the other guy was getting skunked on something different.

So, in a long-winded, round-a-bout way of saying it....color matters.

I think color mater's it may be a confidence matter. Me for example I know I can catch a Bass if you give me a purple worm. Why? Because it is my favorite color worm, and that give's me confidence! Confidence is a big factor in fishing, If you believe they will come....................Bass that is.................. Everyone has there favorite color or there Go To Bait. It is Human.......................................

I also believe that color matters. a few years ago I was in a draw tourny and was out catching the guy in the back 4-1. We were trhowing senkos, he had a 194J and I had 194. They are both watermelon.(That opens a whole other post not tooo long ago.) One you can see thru and one you can't. We had the same size line, same hook, same huge main lake weed flat. I gave him some of mine and he started catching them too. that made a beiever out of me. Also it is a huge confidence thing like outdoor said. Besides, isn't that why we make our own stuff? To have something different.

Zbass

I think color matters more to the fisherman than the bass. I too, have a zillion colors, and have a few friends that really "whack them" on a new color, so I go out and buy or try to match the color and pour a bunch. To me, panfish are more picky with colors since many times, the bait just "sits" in front of them, where most oftentimes, bass fisherman are moving their baits. I think location is obviously more important than color, but do think certain shades of color are better than others. JMO

Because it is my favorite color worm, and that give's me confidence! Confidence is a big factor in fishing, If you believe they will come....................Bass that is.

How right you are!!! I spend a lot of time fishing for stripers in the Chesapeake Bay. I use soft plastics almost exclusively. At first I'd use all the natural colors of Bass Assassins, like albino, crystal shad, and opening night. But there's a common saying amongst C-Bay striper fishermen, "If it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use". To make matters more confusing concerning color, many also use limetreuse, including me... which is about as bright as a brand new traffic cone... and it works too! Now ya gotta ask yourself, what is a striper thinking when he hits limetreuse. But then again, stripers are not known to be picky eaters, nor very smart either... which is why I like fishing for them:yeah:.

Here's the deal that nobody really considers. Back in the 70's, Bass fishing wasn't popular, bass were considered trash fish by many. No pressure=easier to catch.

Out here in So Cal, bass have been the most popular freshwater fish for almost 50 years, it just wasnt on TV all the time like it is now.

Their is no magic color to catch fish. You can use any color you want and still catch fish. It all has to with water clarity. Clear or staind, sunny or cloudy. Also the depth has a part in it some colors are harder for the fish to see as they get deeper. Their is a site that showes you what colors they see best thinks green's and red's are up their. Thats way red line and bleeding baits are BS. Way does evey lure that has red on it advertise blood. The fish doesn't relate red to blood and why buy line that is red if it dissapears under the water so its invisable. Why do you buy lures if it has red on it while the red line you are using disapears under water? The only thing that matters is how much confadince (bad spelling) in that color or lure using. If you trust that color or lure you fish it ten times better than the other one. Its all in your head. Rember it all has to do with water clarity, weather, and most important you.

Their is no magic color to catch fish. You can use any color you want and still catch fish. It all has to with water clarity. Clear or staind, sunny or cloudy. Also the depth has a part in it some colors are harder for the fish to see as they get deeper. Their is a site that showes you what colors they see best thinks green's and red's are up their. Thats way red line and bleeding baits are BS. Way does evey lure that has red on it advertise blood. The fish doesn't relate red to blood and why buy line that is red if it dissapears under the water so its invisable. Why do you buy lures if it has red on it while the red line you are using disapears under water? The only thing that matters is how much confadince (bad spelling) in that color or lure using. If you trust that color or lure you fish it ten times better than the other one. Its all in your head. Rember it all has to do with water clarity, weather, and most important you.

I not only agree, I'd like to add that vibration and sound play a major role in the presentation and well as a contrast in color while the fish is looking above in the water column and the sun or moon is shining brightly. As a rule, my idea of using plastics is as trailer for an in-line spinner bait presentation. I love watching a bass, pike, or musky just explode on one of my in-lines, and I don't know if it's the color or the flash, sound, and vibration that cause the strike.

Good thread; it makes you stop and think. Sorry about looking at it from a wire bait view point, but I just can't catch squat fishing a worm no matter how hard I try.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike

Spike

you know I always thought the same thing about vibration, however if I dead stick a bait I will get bites and catch fish, late last night we were dead sticking 5" senkos and dropshotting that was the only way we could catch them. most of my droshot fish through the years have been dead sticking as well.

oh on the color I should have clarified that better, when I say color doesnt make a difference I am meaning 3-4 color pours. I am betting that if you had a 3 color worm that was working lets say green brown and blue. and had single color worms in green brown and blue, that one of those colors would work just as well. On single colors sometimes changeing colors helps sometimes not. It is also a confidence thing for sure thats why I use white reds and pinks, my best fish and most of the tournys I placed in were mostly caught on reds whites and pinks.

I really believe in all the fishing I have done that fancy colors is mostly to sell to the fishermen.

A lot has to do with fish activity. Is a school up and feeding or are they "cold front fish". I've caught fish on a slim tail worm (with no action) and I've caught them on a paddle tail with lots of vivration. It's what makes fishing fun- everything can change; just when you think you got it figured out. Oh well back to working on a hot new color.:lol::lol::yay:

As the late Jake Adkins, the founder of Jakes Producto Lures (which became Producto) said in the 70's "The ugliest color in the world will catch fish if the fish are there, but the best color won't catch a thing if they ain't" wise words. He always fished with black, and said he made all the other colors to sell. That being said, I believe fishing pressure has alot to do with fish being "picky" about color, or vibration, or "acton" for that matter. Think about it, you can go to a farm pond or private lake if your lucky enough, and catch fish on almost ANY color - if it moves - it gets bit. Fish are not real smart creatures, they just develop real smart habits...if given the chance...just my 2 cents

Most of my customers who are very successful tourney guy's don't trust any thing "flashy" they use staples like black, june bug, green pumpkin, watermelon, and white. They mostly keep colors to a minimal, and simple. They will try other new colors, but if it does not produce better than the usual colors they will go back to them. But there are some cases where a color may match the food source and on others maybe a differant color all together, if that makes since.

I am with brave,del,and shane on this one. I too belive color is important, but also more importanly is presentation. As del said, and being a bait producer myself you have to sell the angler first. Those swirled baits get em everytime. I have fished spots I knew held fish only to come up empty, I change my presentation from texas rig to a wacky rig and pull bass from that same spot I was just fishing for 15 minutes You also have to buy or make the baits that you belive have the best action that suits your type of fishing. The luxury of being a handpourer is that you can customize your baits to meet the customers expetations, so as not to stray from the ? I do belive color is important I have seen it to many times, throwing one color to the same spot with no results then change color and just hammer em.