begs

Devcon 1St

Ok guys still getting new to this have 2 baits painted and finally got some blanks that came in. 

so you epoxy the blank first the scuff sand. if that is the case what grade sand paper?

or just paint then epoxy, and how many coats of epoxy do you use?

The first coat of epoxy is to seal the wood against water intrusion. That is followed by a light sanding with something in the neighborhood of 400 grit sandpaper. Last time I bought sandpaper they were out of 400 grit and the closest thing they had was 320 grit. This worked fine. I would stay away from anything that was much coarser than that though as it can leave sanding marks that the paint won't cover up. When I use epoxy for a top coat I only apply 1 coat and that holds up well for the bass I fish for.

Ben

begs,  to paint virgin plastic cranks, I clean it with some denatured alcohol, paint it, then coat the bait with one coat of Devcon Two Ton epoxy.  If you use other brands of epoxy you might want to use multiple coats depending on the thickness of the coating.  For repainting plastic, I follow the same scheme but scuff up the existing finish with sand paper before starting, or else entirely remove the existing finish, just depending on the bait and its condition. 

begs,  to paint virgin plastic cranks, I clean it with some denatured alcohol, paint it, then coat the bait with one coat of Devcon Two Ton epoxy.  If you use other brands of epoxy you might want to use multiple coats depending on the thickness of the coating.  For repainting plastic, I follow the same scheme but scuff up the existing finish with sand paper before starting, or else entirely remove the existing finish, just depending on the bait and its condition. 

The only thing I would add to BobP's post would be remove the standing seams if any. Sand smooth and continue with Bob's suggestions.

Jerry

I dip plastic baits, very quickly, in clean acetone, and that cleans them so I can paint right onto the plastic with my Createx, with no primer needed.  The acetone actually melts the plastic, so I dip quickly, and then let the bait hang tail down for a minute, to let the acetone flash off.  Leaving the bait in the acetone too long will dissolve the plastic too much and make it weak, or leak, or come apart at the seam.

I dip plastic baits, very quickly, in clean acetone, and that cleans them so I can paint right onto the plastic with my Createx, with no primer needed.  The acetone actually melts the plastic, so I dip quickly, and then let the bait hang tail down for a minute, to let the acetone flash off.  Leaving the bait in the acetone too long will dissolve the plastic too much and make it weak, or leak, or come apart at the seam.

Great idea Mark. Never thought to do it that way. Thanks