JRammit

Air Worm?

I was asked about this by a friend of a friend... He says 15 years ago he fished a floating worm with some sort of air pocket called "The Air Worm"

I suggested maybe he meant the Creme floating worm, but he's sure it was called the air worm... He doesn't know who made it... And ive never heard of it... If anyone has, it would be someone here.... So i told the guy i would ask

Riverside?  Wide bodied worm with flat base and had air pockets molded into the sections.. maybe 8 sections or so.  They made the air worm, air fry, and I think also a lizard.  I may have several packs stuffed in the bait closet.  I didn't then the worm was all that great but did fish the fry some (would have been 20 or so  years ago when I was using them however).

Edited by Travis

That must be it.... That was quick!

I googled "air worm", "air pocket worm", "pocket worm" and any other variation i could think of

If you happen to find them, let me know what would be a fair exchange

This is the same friend that gave me the drill press... This may be a way to return the favor

will see if I can find them, I had half dozen colors or so.  I have boxes in the boat and some in the attic that I need to pull out and see what is in there also.  I honestly have too much stuff that I will never use and need to get rid of it.  I keep telling my wife need I need to put a good portion of it up on Ebay.

JR - I found 'Riverside Lures 6" Floating Air Worm'. It looks like it is discontinued though.

It would be a nice challenge to make a plaster mold for this type of worm, with an insert to create the pocket. Leaving a rib of material around the pocket, to seal with a hot knife.

Well worth a drill press.

Dave

Another project to add to a list that already needs prioritizing... But i could learn alot from this one if i dive into it

Im almost to the point of unpacking all my tools i just packed.... Turns out buying a house is nothing like buying a car.. They dont let you drive it home tonight and pay tomorrow

It didn't go over well.  It really wasn't a very good lure.  Poor action and more of gimmick to capitalize on the Carolina rig craze at the time.  Each cavity is a cylindrical cavity (flat on the top end and tapered to ~ 1/4 the diameter at the bottom.  I imagine if you didn't have the plastic right could end up ripping a lot of worms when demolding if one made the usual type molds.

I think it could be done without a mold... Maybe not efficiently though

Each segment dipped like a tube, the previuos (once cooled) snipped and partially threaded over the next (while hot)... Until you get to the tail, then maybe dipping a piece of wire threaded into the bait that could be removed afterwards

Edited by JRammit

I have bought so many junk baits over the years....   Many have been bought because I was asked to match a color or make some more of them.  I also like to have some ground to stand on for discussion on the particular bait or style of bait.   

You could try to Frankenstein the bait together but it wouldn't be close to the original.  The air pockets were not captured in the bait.  A mold with inserts glued into the bottom half would be the easiest way to get it the desired pockets molded into the bait.  Brass rod being easy to work with would be the way I would go.  I took a horizontal cross section image of the bait below.  Have not come across the worms yet but have a few other boxes to go through but did find a lot of stuff I forgot I had.   :lolhuh:

DSC_0098_zpsjldzzfjj.jpg

Edited by Travis

I doubt ill be taking this project on... All that was requested of me was identification of the bait... Ive fulfilled my obligation.. If i can produce a bag or two, ive exceded my expectations

Travis, if you find the worms great!.. But dont stress yourself on my account

I am interested in the bait, because in my teens I did a lot of eel fishing in a pond next to the river Mersey. The pond was very soft mud and the worms (real) would get buried and the eel count was low.

Mom (nurse) got me a hypodermic needle which I used to inject an air bubble one end of the worm. My catch rate increased dramatically.

I will probably take on this project if I ever get some plastisol over here. I am thinking a blade insert, weld seal the plastic and inject air from the end. This will be self sealing.

Dave

I made something similar back then (1999-2002 I believe). They were 5" finnesse flat tail worms. I made a molders clay model and one sided hand pour mold. The air pockets worked. I made the holes pretty deep and rigged it holes-down. Then the Zipper Worms became popular and interest was lost.

I have thought about doing something similar in the tails of drop-shot worms.

This guy has done so much for our hobby/industry and does it with so much enthusiasm that is infectious and makes you want to order the gear and get started as soon as possible.

My only whinge is that I just wish Larry would promote more, the safety aspects of dealing with hot plastic. When he started sloshing the plastic in the jug to demonstrate how hot it was, it made me cringe.

If you read this Mr Dahlberg, just something to think about. Keep up the good work :)

Dave

• Like 2

Gloves I can see are a problem; they need to be close fitting and thin enough to allow some dexterity, otherwise you are going to remove them just at the point that you need them.

I have seen gloves used in industry that fit the above description, used by shop workers that handle metal components. They are ribbed with lines and dots of a rubber like substance that promotes grip.

Gloves need testing to validate their effectiveness, preferably without a hand inside.

Heavier, loose fitting leather gloves obviously offer excellent heat protection, but difficult to 'feel' the job in hand and probably cause more spills than they protect.

DAve

I always liked deer skin gloves when I was welding and fabricating. They were a much softer leather and provided a better "feel" than some of the other leathers used to make gloves and they still offered great protection against burns. Pigskin is another leather that is more supple than cow hide, but I didn't think they offered as much protection as the deer hide since they were fairly thin.

Ben