SW Lures

Northern Pike & Musky Baits

Craftsmanship is valuable if people can afford it!  I know I'm a craftsman.    I can't imagine trying to make a living on hand crafting tackle.   Setting up a tackle manufacturing business is different.    In my web search I've seen many nice looking lures but also wonder if they catch more fish or more fishermen?

Craftsmanship is valuable if people can afford it!  I know I'm a craftsman.    I can't imagine trying to make a living on hand crafting tackle.   Setting up a tackle manufacturing business is different.    In my web search I've seen many nice looking lures but also wonder if they catch more fish or more fishermen?

Well...My goal is "balance"  offer up a nice design and quality finish with an awesome action and success rate.  I think I have achieved all of that.  I want to offer a great lure to those looking for "craftmanship" and good looking bait and offer to those a bait with great functionality, durabilty and fish catching qualities.  I use ONLY the baits that I produce and my muskie catching success has not gone down at all, but rather increased for me.  I could care less if they have gills, fins or fancy color....for me its about catching fish and when I designed my bait, action was number one for me....The paint just comes natural.

Edited by TheHammer
  • Like 1

As a lifelong carpenter, I LOVE wood.  It's weight, it's texture, it's smell, the thousand and one things you can do with it, how it looks when it's been stained and finished, how incredibly strong and flexible it is, "these are a few of my favorite things".  :o)

But AZEK PVC is what I make my hard baits from.  

Having a beautiful bait ruined by water intrusion is heart breaking.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

It is really more towards the later part of spring Musky Tamer. So I will do as you suggest. Thank you

As far as going off the subject......GO FOR IT! Since I started this thread. I like a good "discussion". I have got a good amount of suggestion but will keep looking for more in between.

Carry On :)

Dale

I got to thinking about the thread. So many conversations created topics so far away from the original topic in the real world.....so I guess that fact should carry over to the virtual one. To me a opinion of someone else is important, for many reasons, that's why I like to hear them. You learn many things from the thoughts of others. ie., are the people trying to be helpful, give you a different way at looking at something, etc. I'm not saying I'm the brightest bulb, so all help is welcome.

@ Travis

:)

Dale

Yes it has a lot of very good info. Specially for someone like me that hasn't fished in that area or for that species. We do have them down here in a lake southwest of here. Good size ones that I hear about.

The post where I stated what I was going to do is just that. I took all opinions from what I can do (my abilities at this time) with a bait and rolled them into my approach to this project. When I'm finish I will post them in the gallery.

About the gallery, I hope to post a few pictures of some baits this weekend if I have time, which I should.

Thanks to everyone again, it did help.

Dale

• Like 1

To me, Azek is just another material in my arsenal of woods. I like it but in some cases it isn't buoyant enough for me so I use wood. It's nice that it doesn't have grain and I don't have to worry about water intrusion but it defiantly has its place. Remember this is all for fun (at least for me) so have fun no matter what you choose and make sure it is enjoyable

• Like 2

Ok.....I have put a few Pic.’s out in the gallery. Be gentle you bunch of piranhas  :twisted: . I was painting today and my grand started to paint, big fun.  She did a great job for the first time. Actually Dieter she doesn’t need a lot of mentoring :teef: . She showed me imagination, very impressed and has asked to do more with me. I started with her painting on a stencil, making dots, lines and accent techniques. I will post her Pic. when finished.

Well its that time again!

Cheers;  :tipsy:

Dale

Edited by DaleSW
  • Like 3

Haha , ...now I see , why I could not enlarge the gallery picture :lol: , .....you had downsized it to use as your avatar !

Just had a look inside of your gallery , ....hope , you're going to make some baits for your own use as well , ....scale them down and they'll surely work for bass and walleye , too :yes: !

Now , that you've got your little one to paint them , you could fully concentrate on carving , ...lure output's gonna rise to large amounts :yay:.

Greetz , Dieter

• Like 1

I have some for myself Dieter. I'm working on a gizzard shad, I just can't make myself happy with the paint scheme. Yes I do need to finish them but these people help me in so many ways, example one brings me lead ingots when he finds them another scuba dives in rivers near here, he knows the areas that I can test baits at and good places to fish (he's a relic hunter).

As far as the lil one, there are child labor laws......lol. Really Dieter she can be good at this. She has a good touch with the brush, hand and eye coordination will improve.

Thanks and take care,

Dale

• Like 1

.....child labor , ....hahaha , ........bet , she won't see it that way !

Wish that I would have scuba diving friends as well to tell me about the best fishing holes or to pick lost lures ,.....I fully understand , ...little presents keep the friendship , as we say over here !

Greetz , Dieter

• Like 1

Yes Sir, she wouldn't mind a bit.....just a joke. If I had the time I would be cranking baits out like crazy and she would be there with me if she could, I believe. Her baits are finish with the one she made for her mom and dad. I will post them in my name this weekend.

What my friend tells me is about drop offs, depths with structure, sunken boats etc. If he see' s fish laying in a area also. I try to give in take. That's what it should be about, IMO. It's part of friendship.

Take Care,

Dale

• Like 1

Oh by the way Dieter, with me getting these baits out in a fairly good amount to "friends", I will get honest reports back about the performance of the baits. They fish like crazy at times and I value their opinions (they are knowledgeable).

i.e.; did the bait run true, what was needed to correct any problems, did they catch fish and what type. What ever thoughts they have. With me being new to this hobby and having "original" designs, I need honest and knowledgeable thoughts. My sayin, "Can't Hurt".

Dale