CharlesMoss1992

Best Fishing Reel Under 200

Most metal-frame baitcast reels are at least decent.  Non-metal frames aren't a deal-breaker per say, but because of the flexibility of the frame they tend to be less of a long-term investment than a reel with an aluminum frame.  I've fished with two baitcasters with graphite frames, and while they work just fine and I've never had any malfunctions, under heavy load (such as fighting a fish) you can feel a tiny amount of flex that isn't there with a metal frame.  Can't speak as to how much effect that has on the lifespan of the reel, but using a graphite reel with heavy line for winching is probably not going to do any favors for the reel in the long run.

When it comes to brand, I'd say try to get to a store such as Bass Pro, Scheels, etc., and see how different reels feel in your hand. Then buy what you like.  Most reels at a given price points are fairly competitive with each other.

Bottom line, the only thing I'd really avoid is a non-metal frame.  There really isn't a "best", there's just what you can afford and what you like.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 1:26 PM, CharlesMoss1992 said:

@Fishwhittler Affordability is not an issue for now, I just need a premium reel for fishing which elevate my fishing & keeps me motivated to dive into my fishing game!

Apologies for the late reply. 

If that's the case, pretty much anything from Daiwa and Shimano is going to be good.  Lews has quite the following as well, as does Abu Garcia.  I will say that most low-profile reels from Lews, Abu, Pflueger, and a number of other brands all come from the same factory, though Abu's round reels from the C3 up are still made in Abu's own factory in Sweden.  So as far as low-profile reels go, anything from the brands mentioned is more or less just a different iteration of the same reel.

Shimano and Daiwa both make their own reels (as well as making one or two for other brands).  I tend to assosciate Shimano with slightly better low-end stuff than Daiwa, while Daiwa and Shimano both have excellent top-tier options.  he biggest difference between the two, IMHO, is that Shimano uses centrifugal brakes for almost everything while Daiwa tends to go for magnetic brakes.  I'm partial to centrifugal brakes, though I do have a Daiwa T3 that I've no complaints about.

Honestly, most reels around the $200 price point will be perfectly satisfactory and will mostly be fairly comparable.  It's still going to come down to what you like the best.

I know this is old thread but EBAY and Marketplace are your friends...... I have 3 Steez Reels - they are older generations - but the are great and not one of them did I spend more than 200 shipped with tax.... same for my PIxy reels, etc.... if you can live with a used reel - you can get a really high end quality reel for 200 and under that was likely 400-500 new.   

You'll have to look alot and wait for the right reel to be available - but I've reach the point I'd rather a high end used reel than a OK new reel.  You can tell the difference.

J.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, SlowFISH said:

I know this is old thread but EBAY and Marketplace are your friends...... I have 3 Steez Reels - they are older generations - but the are great and not one of them did I spend more than 200 shipped with tax.... same for my PIxy reels, etc.... if you can live with a used reel - you can get a really high end quality reel for 200 and under that was likely 400-500 new.   

You'll have to look alot and wait for the right reel to be available - but I've reach the point I'd rather a high end used reel than a OK new reel.  You can tell the difference.

J.

Ditto.  I currently own 3 used Shimano Citicas of various generations.  Also bought a Daiwa T3 for $200 when they were on clearance due to the T3 being discontinued.  I still need a Citica 200D for my collection, and MAYBE a Citica G, but for my money the Citica D and E were some of the best value for the dollar ever produced.

The only reason I'd avoid buying used is if you're not 100% comfortable with the idea of maintaining and/or repairing your own reels.  Not every seller is completely honest, and buying used can be a very mixed bag if you don't know what you're looking for.

The citicas have been money for me Sockeye Salmon fishing. When you’re fishing for Sockeye, no casting required but you need a butter smooth, strong drag. I take out the stock drag washers and replace them with carbon fiber. A good cleaning and lube and you won’t find a nicer Sockeye reel. Keep your eye out on BBC for that D model you’re searching for. They come up from time to time.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 1:24 PM, Apdriver said:

The citicas have been money for me Sockeye Salmon fishing. When you’re fishing for Sockeye, no casting required but you need a butter smooth, strong drag. I take out the stock drag washers and replace them with carbon fiber. A good cleaning and lube and you won’t find a nicer Sockeye reel. Keep your eye out on BBC for that D model you’re searching for. They come up from time to time.

Older Citicas (everything before the G) were phenomenal value.  I own an E, D, and B, and I just bought another B for my son.  Rebuilding it now with added bearings, carbontex drag and a few other goodies.

The only reason I would not recommend them is that those older reels can be in rough shape and need some significant TLC.  My son's reel had an almost unusable drag when it arrived, which was expected so no loss there.  That reel doesn't even have Shimano's Dartanium drag washers, which are silky smooth when new but require regular maintenance to not fall apart and/or fuse to the brass gearing.  

Bottom line, older Citicas represent truly excellent value for the dollar.  But they need some work, and if you don't work on your own reels - which isn't hard, mind you - they may not be the best choice.

• Thanks 1